Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

firt jobs have a question

i know this is a stupid question, but once i get done with the website im making, do i send it to them to put on there website, or do i do it? in both cases that i have im redoing the websites completely. I taught myself web design, just never read on what to do after i get the website done.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Are you doing a website for someone else? And they already have a website that you are replacing?

Member #
    yes, they emailed me saying they want their website completely redone.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flagrl View Post
    yes, they emailed me saying they want their website completely redone.
    So, how did they find your e-mail?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Hmmm ....

Did they give you all of their website account information so you can access their website?

Did they pay you for your work?

What kind of arrangement did you have with them?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So you've never built a website before. You have no idea how to upload it once you've made your changes. Yet two people paid you to build websites completely from the ground up based on your presumed skill and experience, which you can't show them because you have no idea how to upload a website once you've made changes.

You're in the wrong line of work. If you can ******** like that, you should be a civil servant in a non-essential and functionally useless department with a job title that doesn't fit on a business card.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    first its free as im doing it for my portfolio, i know how to build websites and have been building them just dont know how to publish them when im redoing a site for them.
    no they didnt give me the website account information, one is getting me it, im going to actually meet with them soon, the one im working on i've asked and he said he will try and get it but hasnt gotten it to me yet.
    and i just asked for help what to do once im done if i dont have the account information. you dont have to be a pos. thank you

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    They should be giving you the FTP account login (FTP = File Transfer Protocol).

Using free software like FileZilla (you can Google it and download it), you will use that software to transfer your files from your PC to their website (or vice-versa).

Their existing website should be backed-up on your PC (or their PC) before you overwrite their files with your new files.

With FTP, you are basically using their website like a harddrive on your PC. Your PC folders and files are on the left panel, and the website directory and files are on the right panel. You select and copy back and forth, just like a USB drive or disk drive.

EDIT:
    It will be really important to know if their existing website is just a bunch of static web pages? If they have a WordPress site, or some other CMS (content management system), then you're going to be in trouble. You can't just create a website offline on your PC and upload it into an existing CMS. It sounds to me like you created a static website using Dreamweaver or something ... static web pages that have no dynamic CMS. If that's the case, I assume you know what you'll be overwriting on their website?
    Last edited by mlseim; Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:49 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not buying any of that. They got your email, which means you have to have advertised it somewhere. No one's just going to pick a random email and say "hey, here's an email, I'll contact this person and ask him/her to redo my website." That means you're advertising and promoting yourself as a professional, which means either that you're not doing this for free or that your first two clients are complete twits since they both want a site redone.

You spit garbage to us, you're going to get it back. You come at us correctly, you'll get correct back.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    They should be giving you the FTP account login (FTP = File Transfer Protocol).

Using free software like FileZilla (you can Google it and download it), you will use that software to transfer your files from your PC to their website (or vice-versa).

Their existing website should be backed-up on your PC (or their PC) before you overwrite their files with your new files.

With FTP, you are basically using their website like a harddrive on your PC. Your PC folders and files are on the left panel, and the website directory and files are on the right panel. You select and copy back and forth, just like a USB drive or disk drive.

EDIT:
    It will be really important to know if their existing website is just a bunch of static web pages? If they have a WordPress site, or some other CMS (content management system), then you're going to be in trouble. You can't just create a website offline on your PC and upload it into an existing CMS. It sounds to me like you created a static website using Dreamweaver or something ... static web pages that have no dynamic CMS. If that's the case, I assume you know what you'll be overwriting on their website?
    im not using dreamweaver,
    thank you i already have filezilla downloaded on my computer, i will call him today and ask again for the information.

i emailed them told them im trying to get a portfolio going and if i could do there website free if i could use it on my portfolio, you dont have to believe me i just want information that will help. everyone that is thank you again. It was a clear answer i just couldnt think of it this morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads