Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: HELP! Site where users can post items for sale template?

Member #

HELP! Site where users can post items for sale template?

OK, need HELP!!

I want to create an ecommerce website where artists can upload their digital artwork files, price them, categorize them, input search terms to make their artwork searchable, and post them for sale. I want the user to be able to do this through a web based interface without having access to other accounts, etc. On the back end, I want customers to be able to come to the site, find something they like, purchase it through our ecommerce system, and then log how much we need to pay the artists as a percentage of their sales. Please read the list below for other needed features.

Is anyone aware of a website template or service that offers this kind of service? I am hoping to not have to create this custom.

A review of the features:
    E commerce site.
    Community of artists can create an account, post files for sale, name their own price.
    When posting the artist assigns categories through our premade categories and assign search terms.
    Buyers can also create accounts.
    Any user can rank other artists works as one to 5 stars and rankings are used to sort by popularity.
    Other sorting features... ranking, most favorited, most purchased, featured (assigned by admin).
    When a buyer buys a download a log is created for the admin to know who to pay for their work that sold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Again, if there is an existing solution that anyone knows of please let me know what CMS and the name of the plugins needed to make it work!

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    This isn't something you just download a template for. You're going to need to hire this out. I mean, you could maybe try to force an existing ecommerce system like Magento to do it, but good luck.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I agree.
    What you're doing is a big project. It takes a ton of scripting.

I have not seen anything like that ... but there might be something out there that you can purchase. If I see something, I'll make note of the URL.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Of course it's possible ... it's no different than eBay where people upload things to sell. The only difference is that the "seller" or "artist" sort of has a store within a store, where they can set up their own group of items. The searches by customers span the entire site, but the artists can also steer a customer to their own art.

Maybe the script you purchase might be like an eBay clone, but with "buy now" instead of the "bidding"?

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    First of all, "template" is the completely wrong word for this. "Template" implies some static HTML/CSS files, which a fully-featured ecommerce site would not be.

It would be way too expensive to hire out a developer to do this from scratch. WordPress + Easy Digital Downloads + the Commissions addon would cover a lot of the ecommerce features you need.

As far as "sorting" features, can't think of any pre-made solutions that will do that for all of the things you require. But that shouldn't stop you from developing the rest of it. You don't need to launch on day 1 with 100% of the features you originally planned for.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arianna143 View Post
    It is impossible....if you build a e-commerce website and want that other people also can upload their products, categorizes them then they must have the knowledge in developing, designing and as well as you have to share the FTP and cPannel details with them.
    So according to me it is impossible.
    Oh, well, if according to you it's impossible it has to be so! Just ignore Etsy. And eBay. And Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Web Design View Post
    It would be way too expensive to hire out a developer to do this from scratch. WordPress + Easy Digital Downloads + the Commissions addon would cover a lot of the ecommerce features you need.

As far as "sorting" features, can't think of any pre-made solutions that will do that for all of the things you require. But that shouldn't stop you from developing the rest of it. You don't need to launch on day 1 with 100% of the features you originally planned for.
    Dude, you know I think you're a smart cat, and I rarely disagree with you. But I can't agree with you on everything here. Agreed that a hiring scratch developer can be expensive. Agreed that you don't need to launch with everything, and that you shouldn't necessarily do that; launching with enough to make money will allow for financing of additional features.

I'm not with you on the WP thing. Using WP as a primary website revenue generation driver is a lethal proposition. It's bloated, insecure, and still requires a developer to deal with issues such as PCI compliance; yes, there are "PCI compliant hosts" that take care of several of the issues, but a host actually has to be proactive about PCI issues and security as opposed to reactive, as many of them are (e.g. HostGator). He'll need a developer to deal with these sorts of issues and know about these sorts of things, especially given the fact that multiple artists will be logging in and uploading artwork and setting commissions. Anyone who has ever been through a PCI scan from a company like say Aperia will know exactly what I'm talking about...and will probably have a Mohair sweater on his/her chest.

So that leaves two options:

1) Use WP + Commissions addon + WooCommerce + Easy Digital Downloads, assuming that the artwork is digital and not physical (which poses its own set of challenges)...in which case a developer is needed.
    2) Use something else...in which case a developer is needed.

Either way, a developer is needed. There's no getting around that.

To the OP: you're going to have to create this custom no matter what you do. Even getting a "template" or a "script" isn't going to cut it. The idea's just too complex.
    DC Web Design likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Heh, I appreciate the smart cat comment.

Easy Digital Downloads comes built-in with PayPal Standard processing. Stripe processing is available as a paid add-on. With PayPal, the credit card information is transmitted through the PayPal website. No PCI compliance is necessary on your side. With Stripe (when customers do input credit card info on your site), your site needs SSL and a proper implementation of Stripe.js to be PCI compliant. But that's it.

With that said, you should probably be SSL'ing everything nowadays anyway, especially when user accounts are involved.

Despite the name, Easy Digital Downloads can also handle physical products with the Shipping addon (again, paid). Running WooCommerce alongside it would be redundant, although EDD addons tend to be much cheaper than WooCommerce addons. Although both core products are free, it's tough to run a legit store without buying a few addons. Some of them are necessary depending on the e-commerce setup you're looking for.

I disagree that WordPress is insecure...now. Sure, older versions have known vulnerabilities. Pretty bad ones too. But more recently, WordPress really hasn't had much of those, because the core commit team is so proactive about fixing issues before they become issues. Many "WordPress vulnerabilities" reported more recently were actually hosts with crappy server configurations. Any PHP-based application could've been affected, but WordPress got the bad rap.

As far as bloat, yeah...technically it has a lot of code most people will never use, like functions a lot of people don't even know exist. For a developer in the know, however, these sorts of functions can save a lot of time developing stuff. I don't mind this sort of thing that much as I don't see the mere presence of (mostly) unused code in a project to be absolutely a bad thing.

If I had one complaint about bloat, a lot of deprecated stuff should just be nixed once and for all, and stop caring so much about backwards compatibility for things that have been abandoned for years. And there are some things that are more fit for a plugin than the core project. The "import" feature, for example, was moved out of core into separate import plugins (depending on the service you're importing from).

But I totally agree that if the OP is not experienced with this sort of stuff (which it sounds like judging from the wording of his one and only post here), he most certainly should hire an experienced dev for help in getting things set up right. That is, unless wants to spend time learning what an experienced dev would've learned over many years of practice in the field. A DIY solution for this sort of thing could end pretty badly for a newbie.

Remove Ads