Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Career Path | Html,CSS

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Career Path | Html,CSS

Do you just focus on html css along the way?

then you go to the next level which is PHP, back end development.

As for you, how many years did you took to be comfortable or master

at CSS, which now today has a new CSS3.

and when will you build a website , is it a static page or a wordpress website

whick for blog posting for your site.

http://chaztee.netai.net/code/

like will it take me a job just installing plugins , and customizing CSS for

a wordpress theme. adding pages, blogs posts which not an agency company

a freelance perhaps. adobe photshop and illustrator skills also include.
    Last edited by graphicnerd; Mar 01st, 2014 at 06:48 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I've been into electronics and programming since 1976. Of course PHP came much later. But for me, all of the web design and web development stuff is not a career. I chose the hardware road instead of the software road. I don't regret it though, because I was in at the beginning of the PC, and even before, when there was the Commodore 64, Apple II and TRS-80's. Hardware-wise, it's been a wild ride.

I can see where web development (programming) would have a lot more opportunity than design (graphics and layout).

If you look closely at trends, you'll see that everything now is more about information and less about what web pages look like. Many companies don't even have a website (as in browser web pages), but they use the internet to provide information and data to others via API. Their websites become a tool for cloud computing, databases, and automation ... hardware with software.

Because I'm now involved with Industrial Electronics, Systems Control, Process Equipment, Automation, I see a lot of electronic devices communicating with larger computer systems. Complicated production equipment in factories now becomes a job of the computer controllers. One human can operate a whole production line.

So I would say you learn some basic HTML/CSS just to display things on a browser, but put your energy into back-end scripting/programmer. Get really good at PHP, MySQLi, javascriping, AJAX, maybe ASP.net and even take some classes on C++ and JAVA (which is not the same as javascripting).

If you choose the software road (as opposed to hardware), take as many programming classes as you can take. Learn a lot about servers also.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I've been into electronics and programming since 1976. Of course PHP came much later. But for me, all of the web design and web development stuff is not a career. I chose the hardware road instead of the software road. I don't regret it though, because I was in at the beginning of the PC, and even before, when there was the Commodore 64, Apple II and TRS-80's. Hardware-wise, it's been a wild ride.

I can see where web development (programming) would have a lot more opportunity than design (graphics and layout).

If you look closely at trends, you'll see that everything now is more about information and less about what web pages look like. Many companies don't even have a website (as in browser web pages), but they use the internet to provide information and data to others via API. Their websites become a tool for cloud computing, databases, and automation ... hardware with software.

Because I'm now involved with Industrial Electronics, Systems Control, Process Equipment, Automation, I see a lot of electronic devices communicating with larger computer systems. Complicated production equipment in factories now becomes a job of the computer controllers. One human can operate a whole production line.

So I would say you learn some basic HTML/CSS just to display things on a browser, but put your energy into back-end scripting/programmer. Get really good at PHP, MySQLi, javascriping, AJAX, maybe ASP.net and even take some classes on C++ and JAVA (which is not the same as javascripting).

If you choose the software road (as opposed to hardware), take as many programming classes as you can take. Learn a lot about servers also.
    thanks for answering , i dont have any website right now to present

because some company are asking some portfolio, what is the best option

to have a portfolio? or my works? i read an article that. I must memic or

not copy a website , to have a portfolio.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Create a website.

If you're too young to have a credit card, get your parents to subscribe to a webhost and domain account.
    You can get both the webhost and domain for only $39.95 for the first year.

This webhost has the $39.95 deal: CleverDot.com- Yearly Web Hosting & Domain Registration Since 2002

It takes a credit card to get the account.

You'll have to pick out a domain name not yet taken ...
    graphicnerd.com is already taken.

You will have to think of something for a domain name.
    graphicnerd likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Create a website.

If you're too young to have a credit card, get your parents to subscribe to a webhost and domain account.
    You can get both the webhost and domain for only $39.95 for the first year.

This webhost has the $39.95 deal: CleverDot.com- Yearly Web Hosting & Domain Registration Since 2002

It takes a credit card to get the account.

You'll have to pick out a domain name not yet taken ...
    graphicnerd.com is already taken.

You will have to think of something for a domain name.
    Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel would this one be okey?

yeah create website? so what kind of website?

Best Web Agencies Websites

do i need to mimic their websites because i dont have any clients or projects right now

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by graphicnerd View Post
    do i need to mimic their websites because i dont have any clients or projects right now
    You could, but you'd cheapen not only yourself but them as well. You're a graphics guy. Come up with something original. It doesn't have to be bleeding edge design or anything. You'd be surprised how simple you can make a site and people will love it.

Example: Paul Und's site. How much simpler could you get? It looks really good, though.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    You could, but you'd cheapen not only yourself but them as well. You're a graphics guy. Come up with something original. It doesn't have to be bleeding edge design or anything. You'd be surprised how simple you can make a site and people will love it.

Example: Paul Und's site. How much simpler could you get? It looks really good, though.
    but he got plenty of works

why they are hiring knowledge on wordpress? just to install plugins, adding post, contents, widgets. customizing themes? without coding needed
    Last edited by graphicnerd; Mar 02nd, 2014 at 06:48 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Create your own site from scratch and don't use a free webhost. Use a real webhost and a real domain name that will last your lifetime.

If you're not serious about this then you should drop it and look for something else to do. Don't sell yourself short.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Create your own site from scratch and don't use a free webhost. Use a real webhost and a real domain name that will last your lifetime.

If you're not serious about this then you should drop it and look for something else to do. Don't sell yourself short.

is it? with jquery and javascript? or bootstrap something? because all sites now have jquery sliders an carousel stuff

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    In your original post, you are discussing web design and development as a career path.

If you plan on actually make a living, you won't be just customizing WordPress themes. You need to dig deep and become extremely proficient at creating and developing website applications, not just web pages. Nobody cares about web pages anymore (again, it's my opinion. Most companies don't need a web page even though they think they do).
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads