Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Best way to host video (can't use youtube)

Hi, So i've recently been put in charge of maintaining my companies website. We just created a brand new whiteboard animation mp4. Which I uploaded to youtube and then embedded onto our website through wordpress.

We ran into a problem however, because some of our clients have sent in complaints letting us know that since there company blocks youtube they are not able to view the videos.

I'm guessing that since youtube is blocked most of the other video hosting websites (vimeo, vzaar, etc.) would be blocked as well. And Im pretty sure the best way to go about doing this is to host it through our FTP files and then embed the URL to our wordpress.

I was wondering if this would be the best solution? I don't know enough about coding to do this myself but am going to try to find someone to do some freelance work but I want to make sure I know what I am looking for is right.

The mp4 file is 125 MB as well, so I want to make sure this method could handle that size okay and we have also been sending the video out through a hyperlinked image in emails, so that it just takes the client to a fullscreen, auto play , version from youtube and we would like to still be able to do this when we host it through this different method if possible.

We have about 1000 clients, and we're hoping for maybe 2000-3000 views though a couple months of having it out.
    Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Member #
    You need to be making use of the HTML5 canvas tag - don't forget to use a shiv to bring modern goodness that corporate browser roll-outs don't have.

A good starter reference is over here: How to Display a Video on HTML5 Canvas - O'Reilly Answers

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm not sure why one would need to use <canvas> when HTML5 has <video> built right in.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    I agree that using HTML5 will be a good way to go, but you'll have to accept that fact that some people won't be able to use it. It's not your fault ... people just have older computers and/or they don't know about browsers and how to upgrade them. If it were me doing this, I would create an HTML5 test page with some videos and have clients access that page. You'll find out in a hurry how many can and can't view the HTML5.

If the feedback from the HTML5 test page is good, you're set to go. And the mention of "corporate access" is something to also test. The company I work for has so much firewall stuff that I can't view much besides basic websites. I get the constant blue screen of "cannot access due to security". HTML5 crosses some lines of server-side to client-side that javascripting can't do. It becomes a "red flag" nightmare for corporate security.

Here's a site that does some great demonstrations of the HTML5 capabilities:
    http://slides.html5rocks.com/#table-of-contents
    Last edited by mlseim; Mar 03rd, 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Remove Ads