Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Looking to build a website

Whats the best website software that I can modify/create or have modified/create by a designer? I'm looking for a pretty straightforward site. I will not be selling items. Basically it will have to have an area where people can fill out a form and put in cc info in. They would need the capability of attaching a file or inserting a link in the "message" field. Once submitted I would want to be able to get alerted. I would want them to be able to create an accounts with login as well. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just because credit card info is involved, you don't (just) need a designer; you need a developer as well. The difference is that a designer is the one who draws the pictures and creates the graphics and may do the HTML coding, and the developer does the programming and builds in the credit card form and does things like that. You may need a designer; you will need a developer.

You need a developer because as soon as you take credit card info on your site, you'll need to be aware of PCI compliance standards. They seem complex, but the short version of the standards is that "you need to do the maximum possible to protect your users and their credit card data". This includes things such as an SSL certificate (the part that encrypts the data), protecting users' credit card info and ideally not storing it if it can be avoided, protecting other sensitive information, a returns policy (even though you're not selling hard goods, you still need one), etc. There really isn't any software in the world that will take care of those things that I'm aware of. Oddly enough, if you had sold hard goods it would have been less complex.

What I would suggest is to have a designer create a simple layout in Photoshop or a similar program, keeping things such as cell phones and tablets in mind (this is known as responsive design...it can't be done as such in PS, but the designer can at least lay out different versions for different screen resolutions). From there, find someone who knows the programming / e-commerce side of things to help you.

Hopefully that doesn't make things more confusing for you.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Mar 06th, 2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Lysdexia.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks Game much appreciated. I war thinking of a shopping cart type of site maybe like volusion etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure if Volusion could handle that. You'd have to ask them directly to get the best answer, and you'd probably have to tell them what you're selling.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads