Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Flash Player and iPads and IPhone

One of the Web sites I created and manage for a Christian organization uses Adobe Flash Player to play mp3, mp4, and flv files. I was just informed by the president of the organization that "Apple products are not compatible with flash players." He was unable to play one of our mp3 files on his iPad.

I own none of these "toys" (mobile devices), not even a cell phone, and I know nothing about them. So far I have designed Web sites only for "real computers" with "real OSs" and "real browsers."

I would really appreciate it if some of you could give me a few pointers about all this. Is there a way to play audio and video files without using or needing a flash player?

Thanks so much.

Ken

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks Ron!

My OS on my home computer is CentOS,, and I run Apache so I can develop and debug code before uploading it to my server. If I were to get <audio> working and then upload the page, I would have no way of testing to see if it works with these Apple devices. I also noticed that the page you referred to said that some browsers might not support <audio>, and it mentioned fallback additions. So...do you know whether a Web page with <audio> will properly play mp3, mp4, and flv files on these mobile devices? Also, "audio" does seem to imply that it would not run mp4 and flv files. Is there a way to run these files without using a browser with Flash installed?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    First, that page's chart for mobiles is incorrect. All mobile browsers currently support the standard. It will work across platforms, but with 1 caveat: Not all browsers support the same formats, so you'll unfortunately have to use both ogg and mp3 formats. I use Modernizr to detect support and load the flash version if <audio> isn't supported. That will work for almost all of your users. The only ones that would miss out is those on desktops using IE8 and below who don't have flash on their machines, which I would think represents a minuscule if even present percentage of users.

I have done this a couple of times, and mobile support works very well.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads