Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Product Customization Question

I'm looking for some information on building our website for some custom product customization. I guess I'm trying to figure out where to even look, or the ballpark difficulty for our vision.

I sell a product in which we customize vinyl decal's and apply them to the top of the product. Customer's send us the image they want to use, and we have it printed and applied to the final product.

I'd like to have our website allow customers to pick their own color, and then upload an image from their computer and be able to see a preview of what it will look like on our product. Something like you would see on these custom T-Shirt design websites.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ee8xsi.jpg

How complex would something like this be? Were looking at a pretty basic one page site, could you estimate man hours or cost for a website like this?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    The hard part will be to orient the image in a different perspective (viewed from two different angles), and then making it fit your shape with the hole. I assume the product is always the same round thing (whatever that is)?

Member #
    Ok gotcha. Let me try again then. Below is a really general layout of what I'm aiming to get to. Color swatches to change the color of the pole/round piece, and then the custom image upload to the front face shown.

I guess what I'm asking is what is required to do something like this? Java? Some kind of web app?

ThanksWebsiteCustomization.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's how I'd do this personally...

1) I'd have shots of the top/base colors and pole colors created. Ideally, they'd all be identical, so the most logical thing may be to Photoshop the various colors in and save the resulting images.

2) I'd use ASP.net and GDI+ to create all of the possible combined images.

3) This would be the challenging part...getting the image on the hi-tops themselves. GDI+ could be used for this purpose, but I wouldn't be sure how or if extracting the circular portion is possible without trying it...haven't had a reason to yet, either. If the shape was rectangular, it's easy. This would pose some difficulty. This is what Max was referring to.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads