Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Newbi: How to get a website?

I live in a neighborhood with about 200 houses and they want a website. How would I go about getting someone to create and maintain a website for our community?

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    The community must sit down before-hand and decide on what the website should be. Simple and just 'informational', or a whole dynamic thing with interactive stuff, calendars, maps, etc. What the website does will determine the cost of having someone create it for you. Your biggest problem that you'll encounter is the lack of content and updating. At first, everyone is excited and gung-ho, but after a few months, nobody cares anymore. The site will just sit there with out-dated content and no site visitors.

There are two methods:

1) You use an online service to create a website that is stored and operated by the remote webhost company, such as Free Website Builder | Create a Free Website | WIX
    Some of these are 'free', but 'free' means there might be ads and other things that don't make it so 'free'. Some offer you to use your own domain name, and some only offer that if you pay for it. I'm not sure who really owns the domain name in this situation.

2) You subscribe to a shared webhost and have total control over your own website (this is what I recommend) ...

One person needs to take-on the responsibility of subscribing to a domain hosting account and a website hosting account. These are two accounts that can be with the same webhost (or not). For example, the person can go to GoDaddy.com and subscribe to both accounts at the same time. This requires a credit card and account ownership information, and who is responsible for the accounts (technical and ownership). The purchaser decides on how long to subscribe (1 year, 5 years?) . If one year, they have to repay each year to keep it active.

Your neighborhood needs to think of a domain name not yet taken ... somethingsomething.com
    Webhosts have little widget things on their sites to let you type in some domain names, and they will tell you if it's already taken by someone else.

Once the account is created and payed-for, they webhost will email the owner with all of the account information. That information then goes to the person or persons you hire to create the actual website.

** Maybe having a FaceBook account for your community is the better way to go? Then you don't need a website at all.
    Last edited by mlseim; Mar 13th, 2014 at 09:35 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'd make a similar suggestion, but I'd suggest Google+ instead of Facebook. Google+ is integrated with their search results now (which I personally think is a bad move, but it's their search engine) and as such, people searching for your community name will find your community Google+ page and be able to participate. I also would use them over FB since FB is starting to cross that "invasive and requires an excessive amount of personal information" line (they actually have for years now, but the public is just starting to become aware of it).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads