Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Best Way To Stream Videos

Hello, hoping someone would be nice enough to give me some advice. I'm going to create a membership website. On this website I will have video for members-only to view. I'm concerned that putting these videos on my website (which is on a shared hosting plan) would consume to much bandwidth and the videos quality would be poor. I know there are ways to stream the video on the cloud such as a CDN network. I'm wondering, what are some good options for my situation?

Thank you,

Charles

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    One of the hard things with video is the formats and video players. You'll notice some sites don't work with devices because they use Flash. Sites like YouTube are able to accommodate everyone because they have sophisticated servers and streaming. You and I will never be YouTube, so you're stuck with the facts that you describe (bandwidth, storage limits, video players). You also have the issue of uploading videos. Using PHP or Perl have file upload limitations, and videos are usually huge files.

All of that being said, I would at least test out the YouTube options of making videos 'private'. Upload a few, make them 'private only', and experiment with how that system works, and how the videos can be viewed. I'm not an expert at that, so I use the word "experiment".

I wish I had more experience with video streaming. Maybe someone else has some great wisdom to shed on this topic.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the response mlseim, but I know there are ways of doing this. Indeed I will never be Youtube, but I believe there are companies that operate in the Cloud on a CDN that actually do provide services such as what I'm describing. A service like this would, believe it or not, stream videos just as fast as Youtube.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate some help.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    If you are successful, please let us know what worked for you. It would benefit other WDF viewers (including myself).

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You can definitely do it the youtube option. The videos that are private cannot be searched or seen anywhere on youtube. You can however embed them onto your site and they can be viewed from there. There is a channel i watch regularly and he offers "premium" videos on his site to paying customers.. I have tried to search these videos and cannot find them anywhere but his site.

There may be a way to stream them via a cloud and cdn like you want. But that probably comes with a fee? Youtube is a free resource in this case.. You cant beat it in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    The 'members' page on your website will have a login (using PHP SESSION). No matter what video method you use, web pages can be protected by requiring a login. Your concern about what 'kinds' of videos (adult, violence?) and how large the file sizes on a shared webhost could be an important consideration.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I wanted to follow up with this thread. I believe what I'm looking for is the service Vimeo Pro offers.
    I'm basically looking for an app that can safeguard my videos. I only want members who are logged into my website to be able to view videos. Vimeo Pro is made to handle this. It costs $200/year but has some really nice features.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You could do that, but youtube private videos and php sessions on your website would do what you want. For free..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, nothing can safeguard your videos as such. Sooner or later, someone's going to come along and either invent a product or provide a technique to allow people to rip videos for their own devices. Here's an example of one, although I've never tried it:

YouTube Video Converter and Download - ClipConverter.cc

So if you're looking to protect videos or any other content from public view, you'll never fully achieve that. You just won't. The best you'll ever be able to do, and it will require some serious programming on your part, is to figure out which members are distributing your videos without your permission and cut them off. It's the same as any other online content...if you put it online, someone can and probably will eventually take it. Save for a DMCA notice if it's redistributed on another website, there's not much you can do about it.

With that said, you might want to look at Amazon EC2. I hate, hate, HATE Amazon products and services because they're generally awkward and somewhat flaky and the whole organization is a giant Mickey Mouse outfit, but for some reason I've heard nothing but good things about EC2. Haven't used it, either, though.

AWS | Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) - Scalable Cloud Hosting
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads