Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How to get form to sell products online

Hi,

I'm using WordPress. I want to start selling things online, but how do I get from them wanting to buy it, to me receiving the money. I am interested in getting the sales form you get when you buy something, having to fill out your details, country, address, bank card. But how do you go from them filling out the form, to you setting up your bank account to receive payments?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to reword your question to make a point...I just learned how to get comfortable in waist-deep water and I can splash around in a kiddie pool pretty well. I might even be able to hold my head underwater for a couple of seconds. How do I climb up the 20-foot diving board and do a triple somersault into the water and barely make a ripple?

The point here is that you're entering a whole new sphere of difficulty and complexity, with a lot of elements to be considered if you're going to do it correctly and optimize conversions. First of all, you'll need a merchant account and a payment processor. You can go with PayPal and get a simple button to take care of both, but unless you get a service such as Website Payments Pro, your site isn't going to convert as well as it should. PayPal Website Payments Pro is basically a combination of their Express Checkout product (the user clicks a button, is redirected to PayPal to enter payment details, and redirected back to the site for any final instructions and purchase attempt) and a standard credit card entry form that you might see on say Amazon or GoDaddy or sites like that (this is called "hosting your own payment pages").

Second, you may (and probably will) need an SSL. SSL = Secure Socket Layer. Oversimplified explanation: SSLs encrypt data so that it's a lot harder to steal in transit.

Third, you may need to go through a PCI compliance evaluation. You will need to do this if you're hosting your payment pages, and it's freakin' brutal depending on who does the PCI compliance scan. Your server will probably have to patched. You'll probably have to fix various forms such as your registration form (disabling autocomplete is a big thing for PCI compliance now). Depending on your O/S and control panels, you'll probably have to patch the control panels. You'll have to make sure you're not storing credit cards and other data insecurely. You'll have a bunch of other considerations as well.

This is a mammoth jump, and I've given you three of the many things you may need to deal with. There are people make it sound a lot easier than it is because it's "online" and "the Internet is easy" and "there are tons of scripts out there to build stores and they're easy and they're convenient and blah blah blah". Those people fail to realize that building an Internet storefront is not only a significant extension of the business itself; in many cases it is the business. In other words, it's a lot more difficult than people make it sound because there are a lot of things most people don't consider.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    What are you selling online?

rss
    Member #
    What are you selling?

Remove Ads