Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Check out -shopping for those buying listings

Member #

Check out -shopping for those buying listings

HI Instead of having a checkout that deals with shipping etc this would be for those who want to list items. They would pay by how many listings they had and how long they wanted them up.

They would post their listings with photos, info by themselves.

1. What would i need on website for this?

2. What might I need in a webshost?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Sort of like Craigslist, except they pay to have their items listed?

Do people actually buy things on your website ... using their listings?
    Or do people have to contact them via your website?
    ocean2026 likes this.

Member #
    people would list items for sale but the view3wers would ahve to go to those people directly. It would be like agents listing property. To list each property there woudl be a small fee per month, 3 months and a discount if they list say 3 or more properties. I wold want them to be able to do this by themselves

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Pretty much any shared webhost would work, like GoDaddy, Cleverdot, 1&1, etc.

You'll be dealing with a recurring system of charging a credit card automatically each month. That type of thing will be the hardest part, and would need to be set-up with a credit card merchant, such as authorize.net, or someone like that.

As far as the actual website goes, you would probably find an existing real estate site ... Joomla? ... and then customize it. Or a custom template that you could build on. It seems like it will require some expert scripting, so you'll be hiring a programmer for sure. I don't think it will be very cheap either.

So you need to do some homework. Find out how many existing services like yours are available for your area. Find out how many agents would be interested in using your website. And find out how much it will cost to advertise your site. I expect the fees your agents pay you will include the requirement that you advertise and promote your website. That won't be cheap. Will you have a domain name that people recognize or remember? How will people know about your website?

That leads to my next question about whether or not the agents are better off advertising and doing listings on their own. Why would they pay you to use your website? What benefits will they gain by using your site instead of existing methods they already use? Some of the methods are already free, like Craigslist. My daughter used Craiglist to find an apartment near college campus. There are hundreds of apartment and property listings on Craigslist.

If you already did your homework and have already done demographic studies, then sign-up with a webhost, for the webhost account and domain name hosting. You'll then have to find a programmer to help you do the scripting.

If you didn't consider anything I mentioned, I guess you'll have to decide on your own how to approach this.

Member #
    I would be listing only a special type of property that would attract people from all over. THere is more of a national market for this. The listing fee would be low.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A special type of property? You mean like a timeshare or something?

As far as any of the questions you're asking, they all come down to the same answer: "it depends". It depends on who's developing it (as Max said, you'll need a developer), it depends on what that developer knows, and it depends on what things the developer recommends. A good developer will be able to recommend payment processors (Authorize.net, PayPal, Linkpoint, etc.) and be able to work within their APIs to do what you want.

That also affects your hosting. Whether or not you need a Linux or Windows server, for example, will depend on what languages/frameworks your developer works in. I primarily use ASP.net for example, so I'd use a Windows server. Don't sign up for the host without talking to the developer first, unless you know of a package that will do what you want and that only requires minor customization (not likely) for this reason.

Basically, you'll want to work with the developer and possibly a designer if you haven't got the layout already to get what you want.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads