Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By RDesignista

Thread: Ecommerce Web Design? (Bank of America's Global Gateway?)

Member #

Question Ecommerce Web Design? (Bank of America's Global Gateway?)

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I am very sorry if I'm doing something wrong by posting in the wrong place or asking a really stupid question. (please bear with me)
    We're starting a new business and we bought a web domain for it already. Bank of America told us that they would provide us with a Global Gateway system that makes online transactions more secure. I don't know much about web designing so I was wondering if our web designer has to design the website in its entirety including the little shopping cart/ checkout , prices, and everything else and then Bank of America would just add their gateway thing to make it secure OR if something else happens?
    I also spoke to a designing company that said they would do "10 pages" for so and so price. How much is "10 pages" ? For doing online businesses, would 10 pages mean that each category: tops, bottoms, outerwear count as 1 page? I also believe that when you click on an item, a page of that item with a description and options would come up - so does that count as 1 page? Basically, I'm confused on what exactly a "page" means in terms of an ecommerce website.
    I'm terribly sorry for all the newbie questions and thank you for answering!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not only is this the right forum for your questions, but they're good questions.

I'm going to start with the last question first, because the logic the design company utilized is entirely incorrect for an e-commerce website. Let me use your question as an example of the flawed logic. This question, and my answer, counts as "one page". If there should be at least 9 other comments / replies / etc. as a part of this discussion, a second "page" will be automatically generated. That's two of the "ten pages" used up, and all that happened was that people commented. Forum pages are dynamic, as are all shopping cart pages (if built properly, that is)...that means that they're created by users generating content.
    The design company's quote works for a site such as this (not my site and I have nothing to do with it...it's just an example):

BeauT Putting the T in beauty

Five pages, all relatively static, no elements that change such as a shopping cart, etc.

In the case of your shopping cart, you as the owners of the site (I saw a "we" here and I'm guessing at least one other person is involved) would supply prices, products, descriptions, etc., and there should be an admin interface to let you do so (also known more commonly as a "CMS", or "Content Management System"...I don't use the term myself because it's used far too often by parrots who don't know what it really means).

So...the design company either didn't get a clear idea of what you wanted or simply had no idea what they were doing.

Moving onto the next question...I have not used Global Gateway or developed a shopping cart around it, and I suspect you won't find too many people that have. The more common payment gateways are from Authorize.net, PayPal of all companies, LinkPoint, Fidelity Payments, etc. This appears to be specific to Bank of America. With that said, it looks like your idea on how the cart should be built is almost accurate. The designer and/or developer (these can and probably should be two different people) will design the layout of your site, make it work with either an off-the-shelf or (recommended) custom cart, get the cart interface set up and then add whatever code Bank of America supplies to redirect the user to the Bank of America merchant gateway for payment. Now, this isn't the optimal way to do it, as checkout pages hosted by gateway providers don't generally convert as well as pages that you host yourself...they don't match the look and feel of the site and can lead to abandonment of carts and some confusion. But this will at least get you off the ground.

Hopefully that made some sense.
    tahm and winnergirl like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you so much for the help! I'm glad I wasn't making random guesses about some things and I'm very grateful that I learned things as well! I'll make sure to contact a designer and tell them exactly what I need! Thank you so much! I was beginning to worry that I'd never find out, haha.
    You were very helpful and I deeply appreciate your time Thank you again!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No worries. But you may need a designer and a developer, and there is a difference. To oversimplify it, developers code and designers draw pretty pictures. Given your choice of gateway, you will need a developer, and you may need a designer.
    tahm likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I would agree with THEGAME. A web designer that can integrate a payment gateway is more of a surprise than an expectation.

But yes, you need a technical person. Unless Bank of America said they'd setup the payment gateway for you, that means you need a developer to setup the payment gateway so that when people enter their credit card info during checkout, it'll be processed by BAC's payment gateway.

And try to get away from calculating costs based on pages. Costs should be based on time. If anything, you should be calculating based on types of templates. Example, all pages share one template, but the product listing is another template, and the checkout page is another template...

Member #
    Thank you both for your help! I do appreciate it.

Remove Ads