Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I want to learn! But what should I learn?

Member #

I want to learn! But what should I learn?

Hello I have been doing graphic design since high school and I think it's time for me to learn something new. Specially since I am trying to create a website.

What do I need to learn or use to create a website that can do the fallowing?

-membership based (profile)
    -database with product information (members can submit photos and information for items)
    -members can add products to wish list/ or have list
    -each member can get feedback and ratings from other members

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well do u know any languages already? If not you will need to learn HTML and CSS. This will create the layout of the site. From there you may want to learn javascript to add interactivity. If not you will definitely need to learn PHP. This is how you will talk to the server and collect data from a database. So you will need to know how to set up a MySQLi database. That isnt too hard. This is what will allow you to create the membership and the database of photos and info on items and all the other things you mention wanting to have.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Thank you!
    Any program you recommend? I have dreamweaver, would that be a good program to build and design this page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm tired. I don't think I can do these anymore. So exhausted in fact, if someone could be bothered to paste the usual "Oh noes!!1...plz don't youz da Dreamweavurrrrzzz" post, I'd totally owe you a bit of help with whatever you need.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You don't necessarily NEED PHP. In fact, there's a reason not to use PHP if you're talking about a long-term project, or at least to plan to get away from PHP. This guy explains it a lot better than I can.

PHP: a fractal of bad*design / fuzzy notepad

This isn't to say you shouldn't use PHP initially. If you can use it to get your site off the ground, by all means do so. But operate as if you'll have to scrap it eventually. Look toward something such as Ruby on Rails, ASP.net, Python, or any other server-side language(s) that will do what you want. I'm personally partial to ASP.net because I'm able to do things with it that most people can't (ask Ron about what happened when he tried to WP-hack one of my sites sometime ), but you should use whatever works for you and that you understand.

Database: MySQL, SQL Server, maybe even Oracle (haven't tried it) could do the trick.

As far as a program...DW is bloatware. You need DW like you need to drill a hole in the base of your skull and let the brain matter ooze out slowly. It's garbage, and most of us here don't support it...especially in "design view". Any free text editor will do the trick, although some specialize more in server-side languages (e.g. the horribly-named-but-awesome Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express is great for ASP.net, Notepad++ is good for PHP). There, Ron...did that cover it?
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Maybe someone should create a "getting started" Sticky? Fill it with the normal beginner questions n explain why not to use DW. That way we can direct ppl there instead of repeating it to every new comer

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    There, Ron...did that cover it?
    Ya, that'll do it...
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    karenx...... is a good for graphic design. If you become a designer without going to design school.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    What in the bluest of blue HELLS is karenx?
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    From what i can tell its a blog. Where people/Karen posts video tutorials or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads