Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone used www.iwdro.org for lead generation?

Member #

Anyone used www.iwdro.org for lead generation?

You have to pay a high membership and they have a promotion which ends today! The guy made out to me that they get many leads... however I don't want to waste my money if it isn't true therefore was wondering if anyone had used them and if they are worth it?

Also if anyone could recommend any good lead generation sites for web design that would be much appreciated

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    internet marketing

This is the type of company that is an "IWDRO" member. Their standards clearly aren't very high, although I'd imagine these guys have cornered the market on "Internet Maketing".

There really aren't any good lead generation sites for design and development that I've seen. They're all either race-to-the-bottom setups (e.g. oDesk, Freelancer, eLance.com) or they don't generate any leads. It's like any other business...the best leads are the ones you figure out how to generate yourself that no one else can.
    bleau canon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    We use IWDRO from time to time when our leads dry up. The quality of lead is pretty decent and we have won a couple of contracts. We have benefited a lot from the recognition we get and often tell clients to check on the IWDRO website to see if others who are quoting for the job are accredited and if they are not then we use it to our advantage.

Todd @ Think

Junior Member Brill Infosystems's Avatar
    Member #
    Our company was interested in IWDRO for a while and we joined recently. The service offered is excellent, response time and support is also very good. They care about members and they went the extra mile to help with our set-up. I think it represents great value for money and we are looking to use them to increase our business acquisition. When we compare the benefits of IWDRO to the cost of membership it was an easy decision. If you also compare the lead cost, and details that you get with Google PPC it is also a very easy commercial decision. All round good service, nice people and nothing else in the industry compares.

Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    internet marketing

This is the type of company that is an "IWDRO" member. Their standards clearly aren't very high, although I'd imagine these guys have cornered the market on "Internet Maketing".

There really aren't any good lead generation sites for design and development that I've seen. They're all either race-to-the-bottom setups (e.g. oDesk, Freelancer, eLance.com) or they don't generate any leads. It's like any other business...the best leads are the ones you figure out how to generate yourself that no one else can.
    I'm with you on this one. This is a business that's slammed dunk full of wanna be think they are's and for most of them to get leads they have to go to these type businesses or either they don't know how or are to lazy to hit the streets to generate clients.

When I started my turnkey small business consulting firm and web development business 10 years ago I had no idea it would be where it is today. 100's of clients and 17 employees and most all of my business is within a 100 mile radius of my office.

I went from sitting at my kitchen island on a laptop to a restored barn with employees, servers, reseller accounts, vps accounts and educated people to help me manage it.

It took a lot of footwork banging on business doors, ads in anything I could afford in our area and then giving away a lot of work just to prove myself and build my portfolio.

I never once thought about online marketing leads or any other kind of marketing except my two feet and my hands banging on doors.

Word of mouth, producing 100% for my clients and charging them what they could afford has gotten me where I am today. That was and still is my marketing solution.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 18th, 2015 at 11:52 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've used online marketing lead sites myself, and they can work. The one that comes to mind, and this was 13 years ago, was 1234-find-web-designers.org. I actually landed 3 clients from it.

Most of them don't, though. I've found the best work I can do is to market myself and let people come to me. I don't bang doors or do any cold calling or emailing. I do get referrals, but for some reason they're not the best method of generating business. My clients refer me to other people all the time, but they don't call that much.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    It's an absolute scam! I bought my membership while a 50% discount was on (a year ago - 2016) and wish I hadn't bothered.

I went into it sceptical and to be honest, I was prepared to risk the cost for my agency (about 200 from memory) and buy a few leads - nothing panned out.

They claim to get detailed briefs from clients - yeah right, they have NO clue how to spec. a project and when you speak to the client, the job is always FAR more complex than the brief said AND the budget was not correct either - always well under.

They insist a client gives them a budget and won't accept a proposal without one, but they pretty much put this figure into the client's mouth so that the client submits the project (clients have told me this personally when I have spoken to them!).

When talking to prospective clients on the phone - I asked them what they thought about the IWDRO and they were not impressed - I bought 6 leads and EVERY single one said they would not use them again and didn't really answer questions they needed to be asked.

Just avoid it - it's a complete waste of time and I got ZERO clients out of it AND I will add, my agency is reasonably successful, so I know what I am doing and how to win tenders (I have around an 80% success rate). I was simply looking to grow my business and get more work in to grow my staff numbers, so thought I would give this a try.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wireplay View Post
    It's an absolute scam! I bought my membership while a 50% discount was on (a year ago - 2016) and wish I hadn't bothered.

I went into it sceptical and to be honest, I was prepared to risk the cost for my agency (about 200 from memory) and buy a few leads - nothing panned out.

They claim to get detailed briefs from clients - yeah right, they have NO clue how to spec. a project and when you speak to the client, the job is always FAR more complex than the brief said AND the budget was not correct either - always well under.

They insist a client gives them a budget and won't accept a proposal without one, but they pretty much put this figure into the client's mouth so that the client submits the project (clients have told me this personally when I have spoken to them!).

When talking to prospective clients on the phone - I asked them what they thought about the IWDRO and they were not impressed - I bought 6 leads and EVERY single one said they would not use them again and didn't really answer questions they needed to be asked.

Just avoid it - it's a complete waste of time and I got ZERO clients out of it AND I will add, my agency is reasonably successful, so I know what I am doing and how to win tenders (I have around an 80% success rate). I was simply looking to grow my business and get more work in to grow my staff numbers, so thought I would give this a try.
    I too was contacted by this organisation but I smelled a rat from the beginning. Their persistent calls and convenient local leads with large budgets caused me to suspect many of the jobs were fabricated.

I ended up writing a long, detailed report on them with months of research and phone call recordings. I've written what is without a doubt the most detailed debunking of this scam outfit. It also raises the issue of paid-for member directories that are nothing more than a back slapping bulls*it boys' club that benefits only the IWDRO.

wireplay, I'd like to private message you and send you the link to my post on the subject. I don't know what the rules are surrounding link drops in these forums.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Normally we don't allow them, so it's good that you at least had the decency to avoid tripping over a policy.

In this case, though, I'm going to give you permission to post the link one time because I'm curious as to what you wrote and I'm sure others are as well.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Normally we don't allow them, so it's good that you at least had the decency to avoid tripping over a policy.

In this case, though, I'm going to give you permission to post the link one time because I'm curious as to what you wrote and I'm sure others are as well.
    Hi there, thanks for granting me permission to post the link.

It is a long read (8000 words or thereabouts) and I spent several weeks contacting members of the IWDRO and asking them to provide a comment, so there's lots of third party opinions to scroll through as well.

Warning: Dubious Web Industry Regulator Selling Questionable Business Leads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads