Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Question HTML vs. PHP . . . which is better and for what types of things?

Okay, first let me say that I'm relatively new to this. Years ago I started out learning to code web pages back when all you needed to know was how to build a table and use HTML tags. How things have changed!

What are the advantages of using PHP? I realize that it's a server side code, but can someone tell me what are the advantages to using it rather than just using straight-up HTML (along with CSS, javascript, etc).

Are there situations where one might be better than the other, or is simple HTML just a dinosaur?

Maybe I'm completely confused as to how this works, in which case, feel free to straighten me out

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Php is not an alternative for HTML

Php is used to input/pull things from a database. It can also be used to process things such as forms and transactions.

The reason it is called "server side" is because you will not see what php does. It does not produce visuals of any kind within a browser window. Although it can be used to retrieve HTML which will be displayed on a window but essentially its the HtML being displayed PHP was just used to retrieve it

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for clearing that up for me . . . I suppose a better question for me to have asked would have been, do I need to learn PHP to be up-to-date as a web designer or can I get by without it? I know there are a lot of other things I still need to learn; was just wondering if PHP is something I should be more familiar with. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Most sites now require some form of server side scripting. So you will eventually need to learn php or one of its alternatives. You need to learn HTML/CSS and Javascript, before PHP and Mysqli at least in my opinion. Javascript may not be as important to you but i believe those 3 are the foundation of any site and without javascript functionality is really not an option. Css transitions and animations will work for some things but its no substitute to js and its abilities

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    I agree with Vapr, you should know your client-side programming before server-side.(HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript). If you want to store things in a database or do anything more dynamic, you need PHP and MySQL. For more modern websites, a database is needed to store user information, or whatever else. And yea if you go to a website, right click/view source, you won't see any of the PHP code or other Server-side code, just the Client-Side HTML, CSS, Javascript.
    Last edited by jakefordesign; Oct 06th, 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Remove Ads