Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Should I jump in?

Member #

Should I jump in?

Hi I have newbie skills in web design. I went to school a little while back and never got out of the gate. I learned HTML, CSS, DHTML, Cut and paste javascript, adobe photoshop. A few other things like flash but I no longer have the software so it doesn't matter.

I had one job which I couldn't find another. I am now in a low income job but a "safe" job in which it pretty stable.

I would like to use my skills and do what I like AND make a living to put a roof over my head (rent $400) and medical and dental insurance.

I would like to ask the experienced web designers who successfully freelance web designing services if this is a realistic idea of mine. I am not trying to be mean but please don't tell me to just follow my passion and forget about money. I have a aunt and uncle who are practically homeless at this moment.

Please let me know if this is a good idea for a newbie web desinger. I am a hard worker and can put in the work. I just want to make sure I can provide the basics for myself, Rent , food, medical dental insurance.

Thanks,
    Mark

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Mark,

Do you have good graphic skills and graphics software?
    And are you artistic, in the way that you can create original graphics, drawings, logos, etc?

I believe you're in a place where you will need to partner with someone. You do the graphics work, and the other person does the programming.

Websites today almost always require server-side scripting (PHP, Perl, ASP), along with a database. I don't know how you could create by hand or even customize a WordPress site without coding skills ... let alone make money doing it without experience and expertise in programming.

But you'll find programmers (like myself) that have very little graphic skills. Microsoft Paint is my graphic program

So you'll find a client that needs a website done and you provide graphic examples and layouts. Provide a programmer with your images, files, photos, etc. and they will render the website and provide the server-side programming to make it all work.

Tell us more about your "stable job". Sometimes there are diamonds hidden in the least likely places. If you find a solution to a problem and a website can be the answer, you might have something that people will want. I have a perfect example of what I'm talking about .... teachers have a very difficult time to find bubble test sheets to use for teaching children how to use bubble tests (that are then scored on automated test scoring equipment). They could order something from Scantron, but the prices are very high and the tests are still not made for young children. I created my own website where teachers can create their own custom bubble test sheets and print them out using their browser. My newest version serves the sheet as an actual PDF file. I don't charge anyone to use my site, but I get enough donations to pay for all of my web hosting plus the time I spend on the programming. Now, they can make simple test sheets for children, to demonstrate how they work, how to fill-in the bubbles, and how to work the sheet along with a State Standardized Testing Program.

My site solves a problem and fills a very narrow niche that nobody else has filled. As silly as it sounds, I get 1500 visitors per day and "bubble testing" search on Google brings my site up first (Rank 1) out of 40 million. Who would have thought. If I had to earn money (which I don't as I have a full-time job), I could charge a small fee and still make over $400 per month.

Solve a problem people have, come up with a solution that people would be willing to pay for.

Think outside the box.

Would you ever think something as mundane as "bubble test sheets" would become such a big deal? I didn't.
    Last edited by mlseim; Oct 28th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    mlseim: Graphic design is my weak point. Not very artistic. However I would like to put in the work to get better. I'd like to learn more about programming. Can a newbie programmer get work?

The safe job is a dead end job no room for advancement.

Funny that you mention internet marketing. I am in the process of trying White Hat SEO at this time (for the first time). I want to make a blog and give away a free ebook and give product reviews etc.Its about billiards which Ive been playing for 20 years.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Thats some great advice given above.

Ill tell u from experience that the advice about most sites requiring a form of server side scripting is spot on. Ive only been asked to build about 5 sites, most of which i turn down as i don't have time or the experience to pull some of it off. Im a graphic design student who had a passion sparked from a Dreamweaver class believe it or not. Anyway, out of those 5 sites, not a single one could be built without some form of server side scripting. So if you were trying to rely on static html/css sites for any income u may be disappointed. You may find a site here or there that you could do but to expect a supplemented income is going to be almost impossible!

Id take the above advice and try to create a new site that caters to an untapped market. This would require some thought and time but the only other option i see would be to take the time to learn how to do the scripting.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Vapr_Arts: I'll give that some thought.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Pool Player ...

There are probably many "billiards" or "pool" websites around, but if you have something to offer, some information that nobody else has, you could be onto something.

With a webhost like cleverdot.com, you can get your own website w/domain name for $40 the first year, $55 each year after that. $40 is like less than a tank of gas.

So you would install WordPress (which is free). In fact, cleverdot has a web panel widget to install it for you on your website.

You'll find a free WP theme ... something that would make a great blog, or article site pertaining to billiards.

You'll customize the theme you install and start filling it with content pertaining to pool. You have 20 years of knowledge and a passion for it, so you put your heart into it.

Discuss your site on other venues, welcome other pool fans to your site, have some click-ads, offer advice, etc. Build on it.

You found a niche where there are actually many people with the same interest. You want to learn more about websites, You want to do some SEO ad works to make a few bucks, and you are passionate about all of that. Hello? I think you're trying to tell yourself something.

How will this happen?

1) You'll need to learn more about WordPress. How to use the admin dashboard, set up categories, make pages, use plugins, post articles, etc.

2) You can learn about WordPress for free (without your own website) by going to wordpress.com and creating a free wordpress site. Make a site just so you can play around with it. Use Google to find tutorials about wordpress. The WP learning process won't cost you any money at all.

3) Look around for cool wordpress themes (many are free). The theme is what your WP site will "look like". Layout, responsive design, features, etc.

4) If you decide you like wordpress, purchase your own website and domain name and host your own wordpress site that you have total control over.

5) Pay someone like me $50 to install it, configure it, put in a selected theme, and get you started out.

6) Do some probing about billiards ... find out what other sites offer, what interests people, and what you can provide that nobody else can.
    Maybe it's a Google Map application where people can submit pool hall locations and rate them, critique them, offer some advice.

I don't know much about pool, but what if there were enough professional players where you could start your own "Pool Fantasy Teams". Your site members pick a few players and get points based on scores ... a competition amongst site visitors (no money involved), but just for fun and bragging rights.

Think outside the box.

Be creative.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Pool Player ...

There are probably many "billiards" or "pool" websites around, but if you have something to offer, some information that nobody else has, you could be onto something.

With a webhost like cleverdot.com, you can get your own website w/domain name for $40 the first year, $55 each year after that. $40 is like less than a tank of gas.

So you would install WordPress (which is free). In fact, cleverdot has a web panel widget to install it for you on your website.

You'll find a free WP theme ... something that would make a great blog, or article site pertaining to billiards.

You'll customize the theme you install and start filling it with content pertaining to pool. You have 20 years of knowledge and a passion for it, so you put your heart into it.

Discuss your site on other venues, welcome other pool fans to your site, have some click-ads, offer advice, etc. Build on it.

You found a niche where there are actually many people with the same interest. You want to learn more about websites, You want to do some SEO ad works to make a few bucks, and you are passionate about all of that. Hello? I think you're trying to tell yourself something.

How will this happen?

1) You'll need to learn more about WordPress. How to use the admin dashboard, set up categories, make pages, use plugins, post articles, etc.

2) You can learn about WordPress for free (without your own website) by going to wordpress.com and creating a free wordpress site. Make a site just so you can play around with it. Use Google to find tutorials about wordpress. The WP learning process won't cost you any money at all.

3) Look around for cool wordpress themes (many are free). The theme is what your WP site will "look like". Layout, responsive design, features, etc.

4) If you decide you like wordpress, purchase your own website and domain name and host your own wordpress site that you have total control over.

5) Pay someone like me $50 to install it, configure it, put in a selected theme, and get you started out.

6) Do some probing about billiards ... find out what other sites offer, what interests people, and what you can provide that nobody else can.
    Maybe it's a Google Map application where people can submit pool hall locations and rate them, critique them, offer some advice.

I don't know much about pool, but what if there were enough professional players where you could start your own "Pool Fantasy Teams". Your site members pick a few players and get points based on scores ... a competition amongst site visitors (no money involved), but just for fun and bragging rights.

Think outside the box.

Be creative.
    Yes It does need to be unique and I'm still thinking about possible ideas. I don't know if my idea will be unique enough. The advice you've given will be really helpful!
    Last edited by ThePoolPlayer; Oct 28th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.

Remove Ads