Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Newbie that needs help!

Hi All,

I hope you can all help me! A friend of mine would like me to build them a 'custom' site, which I plan on doing with HTML5+CSS. But she has come back to me saying that she wants to be able to maintain and edit the site herself. I suggested that we find a Wordpress theme and edit it suit what she wants, but she really wants the best of both worlds.

What is the best way to tackle this? Should I build a wp theme from scratch to suit her needs?
    How do you all tackle this issue? Is there another CMS that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Unless you want to build a simple cms from scratch using a language like PHP I suggest you use WordPress. That's the easiest and safest way to go.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Have her pick out a free "responsive" wordpress theme (by searching on google). She will pick out a theme that is "sort-of" close to what she's looking for. It does not have to be exact, just the basic layout, design, and color scheme is what she likes.

Now, you install that theme and customize the h*ll out of it.

You can change all of the images, features, etc. and make it her own site.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Getting a base theme and customizing it in accord to your client's/friend's requirement is the way to go in my opinion. It's easier and faster. However you need to be accurate on the features and structures you need to implement. You wouldn't want to re-do or mess everything because the theme doesn't fit what you need. Plan, plan and plan is key.

I personally use Drupal to build websites but it might be a bit more technical and complex compared to wordpress. Nothing bad in trying it though. You can message me if you need assistance. P.S. Drupal is a cool and powerful tool :P

Member #
    Thanks all for getting back to me! I thought that Wordpress might be the best way to go!
    That's a great idea mlseim, thank you! And keens, I'll have to check Drupal out, I'll let you know if I have any questions!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Also check out Concrete 5.6 not 5.7 - its very easy to build custom themes from. Also Foundation for responsive static website builds
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Remove Ads