Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

advice on platform for new website

hi there,

I was hoping for some advice on the best platform for a website I'm hoping to get up and running.

Its basically a technical tips and advice website. For example when undertaking a DIY project people can offer advice from their experiences.

I don't want a forum, the posts all need to be just advice. I was thinking of having a specific template for people to add their "tips". They would need to be able to upload photos also.

I was looking at wix but I don't think it is scalable (and I'd be stuck on that platform). I'm currently considering wordpress as its using a database and is easy to get started with (for someone like me with very limited website design skills).

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

-Al

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    WordPress would be the best option. You could either allow people to create an account or add Buddypress. There are also forum themes you can use for WordPress if you want to have it be a forum, but not use a forum installation.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Not meaning to cast any "downers" here, but there are thousands of "DIY advice" sites on the internet. I use Google all of the time to get answers and solutions to just about any problem or situation I run into. I always find a site that has some hints or ideas for me to try. Although it's a great experience to create your own site, and you should experience it, just know that your DIY advice site will be among ten thousand other sites that offer the same thing.

If you can specialize in one specific area, or find a niche not yet covered, you might draw more interest, but your demographics will be narrow. You'll spend a ton of time creating your site, and experience very little site traffic. But, the process of doing it will be beneficial.

Member #
    Thanks for replying. I have a niche in mind and will check out wordpress.

Remove Ads