Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Never had this happen before and need help

Member #

Unhappy Never had this happen before and need help

When I put my website into google search it shows the correct URL but an incorrect title and description. When you click on it it redirects you to some Black Friday web site. I have checked all my meta tags and I don't have anything that would have made it index this way. It has been fine for a year now all of a sudden this happens. I called my hosting company and they were no help. Can someone look at it for me please? The name of the company is SBS Constructors.
    Sorry if I posted on the wrong thread. This is my first time!
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    That is a bit weird. The site has been redirected, but it returns a 200 response code in the header. There's no 301 redirect that I can see, and no redirect on the returned HTML that I can see. With any user agent I send, it returns the HTML for your site. However, if I spoof the user agent as the googlebot, it returns the black friday site's HTML, but with the same headers.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe someone else can take that info and run with it?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thank you for your reply Ronald. I hope someone can figure it out. I don't know if switching hosting sites would make a difference or not.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It was doing it, but it seemed to fix itself. My guess was that your stat counter is responsible. It's where I was noticing "hack style" behavior.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I tried uploading the index.html file. You might have been looking at it at the same time. Now that I did that it takes me to a page can't be displayed page. If I refresh it then it goes to my page. You think it's the statcounter then?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's doing it again on Chrome but not Firefox for me.

I thought it might have been the stat counter based on what I saw of a cache of the Google search result for your site:

view-source:Black Friday & Cyber Monday,Huge New Jordans For Kids Sale Going On Right Now Don't Miss These Deals

But I misread what was going on. It can't be the stat counter since it wouldn't have generated the static HTML required to make the redirect.

Here's what I'd do, assuming you have a backup of the site...

1) Take every file off of the site. Everything. .htaccess files (which may be the source of the redirect), scripts, pages, the whole lot. If you want to analyze it to see where you were hacked, download the site to a directory other than that which contains your backup of your site. You don't want to overwrite your backup under any circumstances, or you may be completely screwed. You also need it for the next step.

2) Upload the contents of the backup to your server.

3) See if the problem persists. It may for a bit due to caching issues, but if not, you were probably server-side hacked somewhere. Change passwords, make sure you change credit card info if your host has it on file, etc.
    20Jane14 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for continuing to look at this for me. I will be off work the next few days and I will take your advice and remove the site and reupload it. Ill let you know how it goes!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    And remove all things related to "stats" or "site analytics" ... whatever you use that is not part of your website.

Member #
    Can you tell by the web.config file if it was hacked? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Y...ew?usp=sharing

Member #

Smile

That fixed it. Now I just have to wait for the bots to reindex it. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It's doing it again on Chrome but not Firefox for me.

I thought it might have been the stat counter based on what I saw of a cache of the Google search result for your site:

view-source:www.sbsconstructors.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca]Black Friday & Cyber Monday,Huge New Jordans For Kids Sale Going On Right Now Don't Miss These Deals[/url]

But I misread what was going on. It can't be the stat counter since it wouldn't have generated the static HTML required to make the redirect.

Here's what I'd do, assuming you have a backup of the site...

1) Take every file off of the site. Everything. .htaccess files (which may be the source of the redirect), scripts, pages, the whole lot. If you want to analyze it to see where you were hacked, download the site to a directory other than that which contains your backup of your site. You don't want to overwrite your backup under any circumstances, or you may be completely screwed. You also need it for the next step.

2) Upload the contents of the backup to your server.

3) See if the problem persists. It may for a bit due to caching issues, but if not, you were probably server-side hacked somewhere. Change passwords, make sure you change credit card info if your host has it on file, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads