Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By Andrew Yurlov
  • 1 Post By keens

Thread: Wanting to learn Web Design

Member #

Wanting to learn Web Design

Hello, I have been trying to decide what I really want to do with my life when i'm officially out of school and mostly Web Design pops up. Currently 17 but doing year 12 next year

I was wondering what kind of skills you need to be a Web Designer?
    What type of math is needed?
    Is it easy to start your own business or would it be better to work in a group/team first?

If you have questions/answers that would help a lot

p.s i'm also ill from a disease that I will have the rest of my life so I mostly want this because I enjoy it/will be home a lot because of my disease.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Wanting to learn Web Design

Now i am not studying programming so this information may or may not be accurate. From what i have seen from the curriculum at my college the students take calculous classes for the most part. You may or may not need to take it just depends on the college you sign up for. If you plan to be self taught you can choose which math you want to learn. May choose not to learn any at all. I personally do not know how much math is needed in basic web design although id assume once you get into more advance programming it would be essential.

To build websites you need to know HTML, CSS, Javascript (java and javascript are not the same). You will also need to understand and be able to work with databases such as MySQLi and will need a server side language such as PHP or one of its alternatives. Any other languages you wish to learn will obviously benefit you and your clients but for websites that is the bare minimum to learn in my opinion.

Now if you wish to build applications and software or games you will need to learn the languages that each platform run off of. Apple i believe is one of the C languages and Android is Java.

As far as ease of building a business that is a tricky question because multiple variables need to be considered. What are your expectations? You can choose to work alone from home or with a team remotely. Just depends on what you want to do.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    Last edited by Vapr_Arts; Dec 28th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Istezz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    If you want to just do strictly web design without any major program, the most math you need is math 95. My school has a good web design program and that is the highest math I needed to take. Other schools may be different but you don't need a lot of math for design anyway.

Starting a business is never easy. If you want to work for yourself for example you will face the problem of finding your first few clients because of the lack of a portfolio. If you want to work for a design company you will most likely have to be physicaly there and not work from home.

The skill set you need to be a designer are css, html, javascript, problem solving, and logical thinking. This is a very competitive field because designers are a dime a dozen these days. There are just so many of them out there unlike good programmers which are much harder to find.
    Istezz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would like to give a personal opinion about your concern/s.

I believe that to be a web designer you need to know how one structures a website and how it communicates to your audience. You need to have a basic understanding of your web design's purpose.

Skills like typography, color balance, and an eye for design are good areas to improve on. And some basic HTML coding will help - specifically in PSD to HTML conversion.

It is almost always easy to start your own business (you just start) - most especially for a service based venture. But the hard part is how you maintain it. You always need to consider that the business will consume a lot of your time. And that you have many competitors who are already in the industry long before you hop in. At the end of the day, if you do well, it is all worth the hard work.

I suggest you only go for a corporate work if you don't have enough budget to live and survive for at least 6 months. But if you have money to spare. Wet your feet and become an entrepreneur Start your own.

Hope this helps!
    Istezz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I don't think math is a must subject for web design as long as you are able to understand the concept of HTML, CSS and Javascript.
    There have a lot of free tutorial at w3school if you need.
    Beside coding, you also required some design skills like design logo, banner etc.

Hope this help
    Last edited by Wired; Feb 13th, 2015 at 02:09 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I was wondering what kind of skills you need to be a Web Designer?
    What type of math is needed?
    Is it easy to start your own business or would it be better to work in a group/team first?
    Depends what level designed you wish to become. I would recommend you learn html and wordpress.
    Match is need in each and every field but you can know just basic maths and you are fine here.
    it is easy to start your own business but it is better you learnt in a group or team first.

Remove Ads