Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Creating a front end uploader...how?

Hello!

I have a client that is looking for a solution built right into their website. We haven't chosen a platform for them yet, so WordPress, Weebly, etc. are still on the table.

The intention is that the customer will have a member page (i.e. a login to a portion of the website), in which they will be able to upload media files to. These media files will be documents, audio recordings, pictures, video, etc. I know of a external services that they could upload to, but am curious what is out there as a "built-in" solution.

At least, one that when they log into their website, it's just there.

That's something I've never done and I can't seem to find.

If this works, though, I would also like to do the same for my video editing business - as we use Dropbox, YouTube and Vimeo for video sharing and file sharing of the RAW files. It would be ideal to have a web portal that puts it all in one place.

I can't find anything, but maybe I'm just searching it incorrectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    If this is on a shared webhost, like GoDaddy or 1&1, you may end-up with a problem pertaining to the size and quantity of files. Before you spend too much time on this, I suggest you email the webhost and ask them what limitations they have. They may want you to move to a "dedicated or virtual server", which will probably cost more.

I wouldn't go with WordPress on this, as it seems like you're creating an online membership "cloud", file storage system.

Getting back to the webhost, after finding out what limitations they have, it might be necessary to use ASP, or some other server-side scripting instead of PHP, which is what most common CMS (content management systems) use, like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.

Be really honest and forthcoming about the file sizes and quantities when discussing with the webhost. They might frown on creating a website file storage system, and if you don't listen to them, your site may end-up being a failure. There is a reason you don't see much information about this ... because it requires a ton of storage and bandwidth.

Let us know what you find out.

Member #
    That's really helpful!

I will do that.

So, as I understand it you're notes are:

- ask the web-host how much they'll allow
    - use a different scripting languge to write this
    - be sure it all works before I do it

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Yes, that's pretty much it ... but I added some clarification ...

- ask the web-host how much they'll allow ... pertaining to file sizes and quantities of files.
    - use a different scripting languge to write this ... instead of PHP, which itself has uploading limitations.
    - be sure it all works before I do it ... ask webhost, is it possible to do this with existing account?

Remove Ads