Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 2 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Building a Business Site

Member #

Building a Business Site

Hey there everyone!

So basically I (and my partnership) are starting up an online business and, obviously, we need a site. Now we plan to build this site ourselves with a little bit of work but we haven't got the slightest clue what to use. Dreamweaver or Wordpress or something else? That and we somehow need to get a merchant system that uses PayPal and we need the site to be secure which I assume would be a job for the hosting. Which we could also use some advice with haha.

Fire away guys!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Fire in the hole!

You aren't going to like this, but: hire someone. If you don't know what to use to make your site, how do you expect to be able to manipulate it to meet your needs? Hell, if I told you right now to go use Microsoft Frontpage to make the site, would you know that was a terrible idea?

Figure out exactly what you need, then hire someone and let them worry about what to use. It's more expensive now, but it'll save you money and huge amounts of time down the road.
    TheGAME1264 and Vincentas like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, Ron missed a step. He's right, but he missed a step.

If you have an "online business", make sure it at least stands a chance at working. The fact that you need advice suggests that you don't really have a plan in place. Visit a professional business planner. Give him/her a grand or two. Find out if it can work, project revenues and expenses realisticaly (can't stress that one enough!) and then go looking for a designer and a developer if your idea is feasible. If you want to sell online, you need both or at least a developer that's a "competent" designer...but even those are hard to find. You may even find a developer or designer with enough experience to tell you if your idea is potentially feasible, but don't count on that; most developers and designers aren't business people.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Good advice ... have a sound business plan.

Don't let Ron fool you ...

You can still buy the best web development software ever made ...
    Amazon.com: Microsoft FrontPage 2003 - Old Version

Last edited by mlseim; Jan 01st, 2015 at 10:41 PM.
    Ronald Roe and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey Furiion52,
    I personally recommend you wordpress.
    Its costing less along with maintenance.

Member #
    I would use Wordpress for its features, but be prepared to hire someone for search engine optimization (SEO) or learn about it yourself, because the last thing you want to do is invest time and money into a website and have no visitors to your website. Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You guys don't even know what type of a business the OP wants to build a site for. How can you possibly make a recommendation of any sort without knowing that?
    Vincentas likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I would use Wordpress for its features, but be prepared to hire someone for search engine optimization (SEO) or learn about it yourself, because the last thing you want to do is invest time and money into a website and have no visitors to your website.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I am one of the least expert persons on this site but I will give you my two cents worth anyway. Right now it is important to have a site that is responsive and it is far easier to make a responsive site using WordPress than Dreamweaver although you can do it with either.

I would suggest hiring someone to make your site and then maintaining it yourself. However if you are determined to make your site yourself and like the WordPress idea let me give you this word of caution. You will hear people say you can build a site using WordPress in an hour. Yes, you can if you have built 20 or 30 sites using WordPress.

If you do decide to use WordPress I will make a suggestion. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube on how to create a business web site using WordPress. Find a tutorial you like and then use the exact same free theme they are using. This will save you untold hours. If you want e-commerce Woo Commerce is the plugin most use with WordPress. For SEO the Yost plugin seems to be the choice of most people.

From what I have read about 25% of the sites on the internet were created using WordPress and among the choices for CMS they have about 55% of all sites.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Hey everyone ... the original post was Dec 30, 2014

No use replying now ... I'm sure this discussion is over by now.

Remove Ads