Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What do you guys do in this situation?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

What do you guys do in this situation?

So what do you experienced people do when you're stuck on a design. By stuck I mean you know it looks good but deep down inside you know something isnt quite right. As a designer I am my own biggest critique. My design has to be perfect to me for me to consider it finished. Do you guys scrap it? Or have some other technique to figure these kinds of things out?
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    We all have different likes/dislikes and opinions. So if you post a link to it, you may get several answers.

But, that would be a way to start. Let us see the site.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I am currently building a site but i'm not ready to show it yet. I was going for more of a general question. What do you guys do when you face this internal conflict on your own designs? Sorry for the misunderstanding.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You move ahead and present what you have.

You're like everyone else, we never like the work we've done ourselves. That's because you know what scripting goes into it, and you know the technical aspect of it. Other people only see the website, not what goes on behind the scene.

Don't dwell on it. Your anxiety is normal.
    Zoe, Andrew Yurlov and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Thanks that actually makes me feel better

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hit the gym.

No, really, that's exactly what I do when I'm stuck on something, either development or design. I go and I hit the gym. More importantly, I go hard when I hit the gym. About 35 minutes of cardio on one of these heart-attack-inducing widow-making bastard machines at a minimum of 16 calories per minute (except that the ones at my gym don't have TVs, which is teh sux), and about 20 minutes of weights. I may or may not also do yoga, depending on if it's available at the time I go work out; if it's not, I may stretch for a while just on my own. I might also hit a sauna for 15-20 minutes.

By the time I've done all that and showered and walked home and looked at whatever I'm doing, the endorphins have kicked in and my perspective is so different I usually end up solving whatever was bothering me. It also helps that I've looked away and looked back again.
    Vapr_Arts and Andrew Yurlov like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I have a similar answer to Game. I hit the gym or more specifically i hit the punching bags. Something about releasing aggression clears my head n then i can usually approach a problem or obstacle with more focus. I also take multiple breaks when possible.. Go outside n just walk around or something to get my eyes off of a piece.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    Andrew Yurlov and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've used one of those before. May not have been that particular one, but I remember the stride being so short my back couldn't take it.
    Also, who wrote the copy on that site? "the unique Arc design that gives the fast fitness results." It's like a cross between Indian SEO ninja and recently graduated marketing major.

I do my best thinking/problem solving in 3 places:
    1. When I strap on my running shoes and pound some pavement. I've noticed that when I'm having a hard time getting through a problem, I generally just have a lot buzzing around in my brain. After about a mile, all of that other crap goes away and I'm left with some truly razor sharp focus time.
    2. Sitting on my patio after 2 Jim/Cokes. Moderate alcohol consumption has been shown to increase creativity, and the running theory is essentially the same as when I go running. It quiets the background noise.
    3. On the can, because who doesn't think better in a quiet little box with a chair?
    Andrew Yurlov likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    screen-print the home page with a link so we all can make some sensible replies...guessing about is nonproductive

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I like THE GAME's answer. The main idea is to clear your mind. And when you exercise that does that well. Me, personally, I practice basketball at a nearby park. Clears my mind 100%. I don't recommend jogging though, especially stationary. It's so repetitive that you can't help but think about other things.

But yes, you need to clear your mind so that you can get a fresh look at it. THat's just how design goes for me and everyone. I have on many occasions looked back at some of my work from 3-6 months ago and I just think, "wow, I should really change the padding or the font."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads