Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Cannot find website text to edit

Hello everybody,

I am a newbie... I got a pre-designed website and I would like to change a certain text on it (the website isn't live yet). I could not figure out how to change that text! I tried the following:

- I used DocFetcher to search the entire files for that text (generally I find text this way).
    - I used Firefox browser to check if I find more information about the text element. I found the css files where the styles can be edited. The text is visible in the inspector but does anybody know how to find out where it is saved? Is it possible that text can somehow be coded so it is not visible?

Code from the inspector:

<div id="fb">
    <p>
    [then the text]
    </p>
    </div>

Any help is appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Before you change anything, does the author of your pre-defined website offer software updates? If they do, you might end-up overwriting any changes you manually make to your files. Just something you need to check on.

We couldn't tell you anything about where to look without seeing the files you purchased or downloaded. Some sites are done using templates, some use cross-reference files to allow multiple languages (english, french, german, etc).

Maybe the text you want to change is not part of the website files, but instead, it's something you should be changing in a database?

Is your site a static website, or dynamic (such as WordPress, Joomla, etc)? Show us where you purchased it or downloaded it.

Not enough info to answer your question.

Member #
    Hi mlseim,

Thank you for your reply. You really helped me. It was in fact in the database (mysql). It is written there in the html format. I didn't search the database files with DocFetcher before.

Question: Do you know a good way of changing this text in the database? I have access to cpanel. I am not familiar with this and I want to be very careful not to mess anything up.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm not familiar with DocFetcher. How does it search the database? Where does it have knowledge of database name, username, password?

Member #
    DocFetcher simply searches files for certain text. You cannot change files with DocFetcher. I downloaded my databases and then searched the *.sql files for text and that is how I found it.

Would it be possible to manually change text in the *.sql file and then to import it in cPanel? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    In your cpanel, there is a section called PhpMyAdmin.

See this tutorial on how to use it:
    How to Install PhpMyAdmin Tutorial

You'll be opening your database and tables, then using the edit feature to modify values.

Let me know if that tutorial looks the same via your control panel.

Member #
    Found and edited! Thanks a lot for your help!! Nice weekend

Remove Ads