Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Need Help w/website for my Antique business

Member #

Need Help w/website for my Antique business

Hello,
    I am excited to have found this site. I have a registered domain with GoDaddy but have not been able to figure out how to design my website. So, For 2 years, I have paid for basically nothing. I have a huge inventory of antiques and collectibles and I'm sick of paying ebay fees. I have all my photos and copy for each item but need help laying it out. I can't spend a lot and was hoping to either do it myself or pay someone a fee to help with my layout. Any guidance is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lorri

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Are you going to just show your stuff and sell them locally, or actually accept credit cards and ship things all over?

What will be the purpose of your site?

I think you'll be best-off using wordpress with woocommerce. Wordpress is free, and can be installed directly from godaddy.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure what eBay charges, but if you want to sell online, you'll have to pay fees at some point. It's a fact of e-commerce life, as it is a fact of brick and mortar life. The key is to try and minimize those fees while maximizing the number of ways in which a customer can buy your stuff. You're running a business, and keep that in mind.

With that said, you're going to have to define "can't spend a lot" in terms of dollar amount. You're probably going to have to hire someone, if for no other reason than you're going to need someone to set up your store. If you do it right, you'll be able to find someone who is experienced with e-commerce sites, payment processors, SSLs, etc. and be able to guide you in such a way as that person becomes an investment rather than an expense. That means, even though you're paying someone, (s)he will be able to help keep your costs down while showing you ways to increase your revenue that you may have thought of. Usually those types of people tend to require you to open up your wallet more than you're comfortable with, but that's also the cost of experience and/or applied knowledge. It's an area that only a few of us even remotely understand.

Before you even think about looking at a cart or a custom solution...depending on what your short/long-term goals are...find someone who knows their stuff. That's a whole lot easier said than done. This board has about 41,000 members, and there are maybe a half dozen of us who have built and/or worked on an e-commerce site. I'm one of them, but I'd likely be unable to help you any more than generally due to a conflict of interest situation (I happen to work with an e-commerce antique dealer, and there may very well be overlap).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi.I'll be selling online & shipping.
    Thanks,
    Lorri

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Are you going to just show your stuff and sell them locally, or actually accept credit cards and ship things all over?

What will be the purpose of your site?

I think you'll be best-off using wordpress with woocommerce. Wordpress is free, and can be installed directly from godaddy.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Lorri,
    Find a credit card merchant you can use that handles online sales. Something like Square uses point of sale credit card processing for the iphone, but I don't think they yet offer a gateway for internet transactions. There's another one that seems to be up and coming ... https://stripe.com/us/pricing

Stripe has transaction fees very much like PayPal. But they link directly to your bank account in an easy way.

If you do some searching online, you'll find premium wordpress themes that are "responsive" and use woocommerce, all in one package. The templates are not free (like $70 or so), but using them will save you a ton of time. You still might have to hire a programmer to do customizing, as nothing you buy will be 100% what you need or want.

See this:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...43.e3511l2kB_s

Be sure to look at some of the "working demos" to see how they will look on a tablet, or smartphone.

And before a big heated discussion begins about my advice to use wordpress, I still think wordpress/woocommerce is a good solution for her antique business. It doesn't seem like she wants to spend $5000 on a custom built website. She can actually start uploading photos and items an hour after wordpress and the theme is installed and configured. This would be a fast build.

@Lorri,
    If you decide you would like to try wordpress/woocommerce, someone like myself could install it for you on your GoDaddy account. You would have to find/purchase a premium wordpress theme and give one of us access to your webhost account. A theme might be $70 and I would probably charge $50 to install everything. Here's the deal though ... you would have to learn how to use wordpress and woocommerce, so there will be somewhat of a learning curve on your part. So your investment in this would be about $150 or so. If you realize later that the whole project isn't going to work for you, that's not a very big loss. You can get it all put-together and get photos and items uploaded without a credit card merchant at this time. The payment method can be check only. Then, later, you'll set-up the credit card processing (between your credit card merchant and your bank).

So in summary, you could be uploading your items to your own website on less than a day.

I'm not the only programmer here, so you may want to research others to find out what their thoughts and ideas are.

Think about it and if you want to discuss privately with me, contact me using the private message feature of this forum. Our goal here is not to solicit clients for business, but in your case, I think you might be looking for it.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 16th, 2015 at 07:07 AM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think you should quit head banging and start searching out for a web designer for one time investment. This will cut down your time to time monetary issues. I would like to recommend you an India-based Web designing firm, better known as Art Attack. They provide affordable services so give them a try.
    All the very best :frantic:
    Last edited by tiabutcher; Feb 10th, 2015 at 02:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tiabutcher View Post
    I think you should quit head banging and start searching out for a web designer for a one time investment. This will cut down your time to time, monetary issues. I would like to recommend you India-based Web designing firm better known as Art Attack that may help you like they did for my friend. They provide affordable services so give them a try.
    All the best :frantic:
    If im not mistaken, that character on their page is copyrighted? I might be wrong but it looks extremely familiar? I feel like i should know the name but i cannot seem to remember exactly where i have seen it. Regardless, unless i am wrong, id probably not recommend them to anyone. I would be afraid of issues with licenses for any artwork they offered.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, I seem to be having the same issue with that character. I can't for the life of me recall where I might have seen him before. He seems to be a rather timid male.

This is why I won't edit tiabutcher's post. It not only doesn't address the original poster's problem, but copyright infringement is a real issue and people need to be aware of it.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Yeah, I seem to be having the same issue with that character. I can't for the life of me recall where I might have seen him before. He seems to be a rather timid male.

This is why I won't edit tiabutcher's post. It not only doesn't address the original poster's problem, but copyright infringement is a real issue and people need to be aware of it.
    Haha thanks that was driving me crazy! I knew i recognized that character and was going to mention nintendo being real strict on things like this but didnt want to give any more false info

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Remove Ads