Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: The common question -- Which language should I learn to creat websites/pages?

Member #

The common question -- Which language should I learn to creat websites/pages?

I have worked with computers for years but never in the programming realm. I have a site I want to create on my own but I am overwhelmed at the language choices (HTML5, php, CSS, etc.). The website needs to be able to do the following:
    1) have a database from which information will be pulled in order to create a webpage on the fly based on choices (I think that's called dynamic). An example would be the yellow pages on the internet. Someone types in their local zip code and "automotive" and get a list of every listing having to do with automotives (new and used dealers, automotive parts stores, automotive services/garages).
    2)I want to combine a business directory with a classified ads site. Individuals can post items for sale. When the web user selects "motorcycle" all of the ads from individuals on motorcycles come up on one portion of the screen but will also pull up any business advertisers that are motorcycle related.
    3) In some instances their will be two criteria boxes narrowing down the possible classified ads and business ads returned.
    4) I have worked with programmers before so I understand the logic of what I want to do.
    I currently have excel spreadsheets set up to enter a database into but I don't know if I can continue to use Excel and just convert it to a web based database.
    5) Another thing on the business advertisements. Whether they be banners or business card type advertising, I need the spot on the screen where the advertisement is to cycle through the advertisements. It can be a fade in or a swipe in from the right or left. Each ad would be displayed for only 8 to 10 seconds before the next ad would fade in.
    I know this is a lot for a beginner to take on. That is why I do not want to waste my time learning the wrong language for this type of website. I don't mind hard work. I just don't want to waste time. If I have to learn multiple languages, I'm okay with that, Please help. Thank you for your assistance. Mark.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Easy answer? All of the ones you mention plus Javascript and understand a MYSQL database.

Heres why..

A websites structure is constructed using HTML so its a definite requirement. CSS is also a requirement as thats where the visual styles are defined. Javascript (not the same as Java, just a heads up) is what is used to create user functionality. Thats how you get the buttons to do functions to even more complex types of functionality. This would be the requirements for a rather simple website. Most all websites use these 3 languages.

Now to have things pulled from a database you will first need a database. Most common is MYSQL. I know there are ways to do it using excel, or i believe there is but it will be easier to just use MYSQL. You will also need PHP (or an alternative server side language) to pull the data and display it on the users browser.

Now how you implement each feature you mentioned is a little more complex but will all rely on a combination of these languages.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Vapr_Arts:
    Thank you for the reply. This is kind of what I suspected after reading about most of these languages. I had one guy tell me that HTML wasn't being used anymore but he could not tell me what was being used in place of it. So, I ether learn all of these or I pay someone to do the programming for me. Since I find myself with more time than money, I guess I'll be learning how to program. Who knows, it may be a new career for me. I am over 50 but still enjoy learning something new. One more question, your profile pic??? When is 2 > 4? I did a google but could find no explanation. Have a great day and thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I personally recommend you WordPress. In wordpress all section covered. If you learn WordPress then all these section comes under it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarkb View Post
    Vapr_Arts:
    Thank you for the reply. This is kind of what I suspected after reading about most of these languages. I had one guy tell me that HTML wasn't being used anymore but he could not tell me what was being used in place of it. So, I ether learn all of these or I pay someone to do the programming for me. Since I find myself with more time than money, I guess I'll be learning how to program. Who knows, it may be a new career for me. I am over 50 but still enjoy learning something new. One more question, your profile pic??? When is 2 > 4? I did a google but could find no explanation. Have a great day and thanks!
    Congratulations. You've found "one guy" that's an absolute idiot. Never listen to "one guy", unless "one guy" clearly knows what he's talking about. HTML is still being used. Want proof? View the source of this page in any browser. You'll see HTML. If you're still not convinced, do the same thing on any other website. There's your proof. Hopefully that guy isn't your best friend or something. If he is, he's not doing you any favours.

Now, as far as what you'll want to learn, that's up to you...but the oversimplified answer is "learn what you'll need to do what you want to do." HTML/CSS are required to build a basic web page. For any kind of interactivity, Javascript and/or a server-side programming language such as PHP or ASP.net are required. Bear in mind there is no real answer to this question that suits everyone since everyone has different goals, needs and desires when they want to build stuff. I, for example, work with ASP.net because it does more of what I need/want it to do and I never could stand PHP. But what I do is drastically different than what most people do.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

2>4 wheels.. Im a motorcyclist so its just saying motorcycles(2 wheels) are better than 4wheels (most other vehicles, or to continue with motorcycle terms, your cage)

Its chopped off there but in the picture you can still see the silhouette of a motorcyclist to the right theres a truck thats being hidden.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    2>4 wheels.. Im a motorcyclist so its just saying motorcycles(2 wheels) are better than 4wheels (most other vehicles, or to continue with motorcycle terms, your cage)

Its chopped off there but in the picture you can still see the silhouette of a motorcyclist to the right theres a truck thats being hidden.

Cool, what do you ride?! I ride a 2012 kawasaki ninja 500r
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    Cool, what do you ride?! I ride a 2012 kawasaki ninja 500r
    Im on a 2012 Ninja 650. Haven't had the pleasure of riding the twisties yet only gotten to commute with it for now

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Im on a 2012 Ninja 650. Haven't had the pleasure of riding the twisties yet only gotten to commute with it for now

Nice bike but a bit to powerful for me haha. I haven't been riding for that long and I don't want to kill myself on a 650. Twisties scare the crap out of me
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    Nice bike but a bit to powerful for me haha. I haven't been riding for that long and I don't want to kill myself on a 650. Twisties scare the crap out of me
    Ive been riding for 3 years in April. It was my first bike n i think the power was perfect for me! Ima bigger guy so i couldnt get a 300 and something about the 650 just felt right when i sat on it so i took the chance n do not regret it one bit! I doubt id ever get the "i need more power" mentality unless i were to start going to track days quite abit.

Not sure how much you know about the 650 but dont let the numbers full you! Its no 600, its not even classified as a supersport. Its no 4 cylinder n the power is pretty manageable. Thats just how i feel on it and i technically have been on/around bikes my whole life except for the fact my family would rather ride cruisers.

Remove Ads