Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Why doesn't my site display on mobiles?

I am a beginner in web design and have recently tried to design a site for my wife's walking holidays: Greece on Foot - walking holidays in the Peloponnese

I based this on a free template and created the content using Dreamweaver 8.

I was fairly pleased with the result and sent the link to a range of friends.

However, some of them have told me that the site doesn't display on smartphones - I don't use a smartphone and had only tested it on my laptop.

Can anyone suggest some simple things I could do to make the site web friendly? I stress that I am new to this so please don't assume technical knowledge. The site took me a long time to create so I hope it can be adapted rather than I have to start from the beginning.

Any help would be really appreciated....

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    If you do not hand any knowledge of HTML & CSS and do not wish to learn it, id say the best advice i can give you is find a different template. You need something that is responsive

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Did they say it doesn't display, such as a blank page?

Or did they say it doesn't display, as the text and images are a jumbled mess they can't navigate.

What does "doesn't display" really mean.

On a different topic, that type of "holiday travel" site seems like it could also include a journal, or a blog. WordPress would be the obvious choice for a site like that. It can allow user comments and a ton of social features. Your wife could add media, photos, content all by herself, from anywhere in the world. No software needed on your PC (like Dreamweaver).

With woocommerce, the holiday schedules, payments, reservations, etc. could also be done.

It would be responsive for all devices.

You could even have routes and "where we are" Google maps for family and friends following their journeys.

The possibilities are endless, and once done, you don't have to maintain content manually every week ... uninstall Dreamweaver, you won't need it anymore.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 15th, 2015 at 05:33 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    If you do not hand any knowledge of HTML & CSS and do not wish to learn it, id say the best advice i can give you is find a different template.
    Thanks for this - I have a basic knowledge of HTML and could edit the CSS but need to be pointed in the right direction. If possible, I'd like to stick with the same template rather than start over.

Member #
    [QUOTE=mlseim;269054]Did they say it doesn't display, such as a blank page?

Or did they say it doesn't display, as the text and images are a jumbled mess they can't navigate.

QUOTE]

Thanks for this. Having tested it, on an iPad or Android device just the main photo appears and no text. The URL is Greece on Foot - walking holidays in the Peloponnese if you want to see for yourself.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for these knowledgeable post.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alexiscooper5 View Post
    Thanks for these knowledgeable post.
    If you wish to say thanks you can say it by clicking "like" on a post. These types of "thank you posts" just come off as spammy and don't really contribute anything.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Remove Ads