Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Creating a new website, looking for the best way to do things

Member #

Creating a new website, looking for the best way to do things

It has been 15 years since I took a web development class. I know a ton of things have changed since then. That being said I have made a few simple person website before quite a few years ago.

I am looking to make a new website for my business. I want to make it easy for me, meaning I would like all the pages to look the same and be consistent.

I was looking at website templates and downloaded one that I like that layout of and looked through the code and CSS, but I'm looking for some thing easier.

How can I make a header/Navigation bar that can be edited in one location and would then be consistent on the entire website. If I add or make new pages I don't want to have to edit every single page every time that I change or add some thing.

Also with the same concept have a column on the left side of the page that would be you for links to pages/articals.

Then that leaves a Footer. Just like the top of the page it would just be the same on every page.

Basically once this is done I would have the design of the site done and would just have to make the content for each page.

I am looking for information on t he best way to do this for easy and also SEO.

Your help is greatly appreciated with this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I think the answer depends on the business. It would be most educational to build your own site from scratch, but perhaps a wordpress or joomla CMS website would be the best solution, again depending on what the website needs to do.

Building from scratch ... your site would be using PHP to dynamically create pages, so there really are no separate HTML pages. SEO best handled by .htaccess rewrite rules to make clean URL's.

Member #
    I have used wordpress but have not heard of "joomla CMS website" so I'm not sure what that is.

also, thats what I was thinking was that PHP was the option but wasn't sure if there was some thing new or better. also don't know how well PHP works with SEO.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    SEO has nothing to do with PHP ... SEO has to do with URL's and webpage content.

Joomla is just another content management system based on PHP/MySQLi, just like wordpress, or Drupal.

Where you rank on a search engine like Google depends on what your business is, and the content. If you're selling used cars, you'll be competing against 20 million other sites, but if you're selling used submarines, you'll get top ranking without any effort at all. I personally think SEO "experts" that claim they can give a website top 10 ranking on Google are a bunch of crap. I have a website that gets number 1 Google rank out of millions ... but the demographics is very narrow, and the topic of my website is very unique, so that's why I can be on the very top of a Google search. It has nothing to do with my "SEO skills", it have everything to do with my content.

And another bogus thing about SEO "experts", and their claims to get top ranking ... when I search on Google for things here in Minnesota, I get one set of results. The person in Australia searching the exact same thing on Google gets a different set of results. Google, just like all search engines, is geographic specific. Don't worry about search engine optimization. Create a website that has useful content.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    I was just looking at joomla and tried the demo. I get that its easy to make the "content" using it but I don't get how I would make the site look exactly how I want it. seems like you need a template to use. am i wrong?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Templates are available for WordPress, Joomla, etc.

Some are free, others are premium themes that cost money.

In ALL cases, the template is just a template. You will use it to set the basic look and layout of your site, but of course it will need to be customized.

It does save time though, because it can come loaded with all of the necessary plugins and features to handle the requirements you need.

Remove Ads