Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Just getting started...have several questions...

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a website from several ideas I've been considering.

The trouble for me is there are a few technical questions I'm trying to answer and on a certain level I don't know what I don't know (know what I mean?).

I think most of what I want can be done via Wordpress, but I'm not sure that is a long term solution.

The main technical question I have is that I want to have an interactive map where users can enter their information and have it show up--so I'll need an end user interface. I also will possibly want to monetize this by allowing more specific information (i.e. events, festivals, sales, etc) to be entered. And I want this information searchable / filterable by other users.

For example, I'd like a user to be able to filter the map by 'all places having an event in the month of October' or 'all events happening in the SE region of the state in October'

The idea being that this tool could become useful for end users who want to 'find something to do' and for advertisers to be able to put their establishment on the map so to speak.

This would need to be a prominent feature on my main page.

Have I provided enough information for advice?

I expect there may be some form of this already done that could be customized for my needs, but I'm not sure where to look or how to incorporate that into a site.

Finally, and I'm sure this would vary wildly, what do you think I would expect to pay to have someone put something like this together?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    All of what you want can be accomplished with MySQL and PHP. MySQL would be the online database and PHP is what would pull and filter that information from the database. This is going to be quite the project if you are just starting out and don't know how to code.

In this field there is not standard payment value. All of this depends on how big the site is, how big the database needs to be, how many features you want, which developer you choose, and many more. If you want a real idea of how much this could cost you I would consult with a developer and get an estimate.
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Jan 25th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    All of what you want can be accomplished with MySQL and PHP. MySQL would be the online database and PHP is what would pull and filter that information from the database. This is going to be quite the project if you are just starting out and don't know how to code.

In this field there is not standard payment value. All of this depends on how big the site is, how big the database needs to be, how many features you want, which developer you choose, and many more. If you want a real idea of how much this could cost you I would consult with a developer and get an estimate.
    Thank you for the reply. Sounds like I need to contact a developer.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Take a look at meteor. It's a JavaScript-based technology, and what you're wanting to do is quite similar to what they build in their series of intro videos.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads