Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Questions for a professional web designer

Member #

Questions for a professional web designer

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I was hoping to get some help from a person who works currently and primarily as a Web Designer. I have some past experience doing light programming with html and java but I've recently decided on a career change aimed at Web and Graphic Design, since i'm very computer/technology savvy and also enjoy being creative.

I am in the process of being approved for a grant that will pay for a huge portion of my Web Design training but there is one requirement I haven't been able to complete and that is an Interview/Questionnaire of someone who currently is working as a Web Designer. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally that works in this field so my searching has led me here.

If there is anyone out there that could help me out and just answer the questions below it would be GREATLY appreciated. It remains completely anonymous so i won't even need to your name or the company you for, nothing personal.

Interview Questions:

1. Can you describe the kind of work that is done on this job?

2. Are there any special qualities necessary for this job?

3. Is there any special needs training? If yes, can you tell what it is?

4. What level of education is required for this job?

5. What tools of equipment do you use on the job?

6. Are there any limitations (age, sex, race, height, weight)?

7. What is the dress code where you work?

8. Are the hours regular? Is there much overtime? Are you paid for overtime?

9. What extra activities such as meetings, training sessions, etc, are you expected to participate in?

10. Is further training or renewal of certifications/licenses required?

11. Are there any hazards in your work?

12. Are there any fringe benefits?

13. Do you work alone or as a member of a team?

14. Is there any part of your work that you dislike?

15. What do you like best about your work?

16. Why did you enter this field?

17. Is there an opportunity for growth/advancement in this job?

18 Would you recommend this kind of work to others?

19. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate your input. Do you have anything you would like to add?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Web design and graphic design are somewhat alike but as far as a degree is concerned they are far apart. More so you definitely cannot learn design while getting a degree in computer programming and same applies for getting a degree in graphic design. Maybe you do not mean hard coding? Or maybe i misunderstood your intentions? Without knowing for sure i can only say that the one trait both jobs require is problem solving. As well as neither have any limitations in the ways you mention. If you are from the US then be aware there are laws to prevent these types of limitations. Not sure about anywhere out side of the US tho.. Every other question either depends on what you are trying to do and where you plan to work. More info would need to be made clear before i can help you there.

So can you please explain exactly what it is you want to do? Do you want to build websites? Or just design them? Do you want to learn coding or are you leaning more toward the design aspect (which still requires a basic knowledge of coding in my opinion)

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Web design and graphic design are somewhat alike but as far as a degree is concerned they are far apart. More so you definitely cannot learn design while getting a degree in computer programming and same applies for getting a degree in graphic design. Maybe you do not mean hard coding? Or maybe i misunderstood your intentions? Without knowing for sure i can only say that the one trait both jobs require is problem solving. As well as neither have any limitations in the ways you mention. If you are from the US then be aware there are laws to prevent these types of limitations. Not sure about anywhere out side of the US tho.. Every other question either depends on what you are trying to do and where you plan to work. More info would need to be made clear before i can help you there.

So can you please explain exactly what it is you want to do? Do you want to build websites? Or just design them? Do you want to learn coding or are you leaning more toward the design aspect (which still requires a basic knowledge of coding in my opinion)

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    thanks for the response. Yes I want to build websites, i realize graphic design is a different ball park i was hoping i could begin learning code to build/design websites and eventually learn graphic design afterwards... i assumed they go hand in hand and are skills that could be used together. Perhaps i am wrong.

Right now i want to focus on learning code to design websites and that's it.

Member #
    I should have noted this before, the questions are not questions i came up with... I am using my unemployment benefits to pay for training but one requirement (one of many) is to get answers to those specific interview questions from someone who currently works as a Web Designer since that's the type of training i have chosen. Basically, they want to know I am making an effort to understand and learn more about the type of work i want to get into... since they are going to be paying for it and don't want me to switch careers because then its a waste of money.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm more in the development realm these days, but reaching back to when I worked client design:

1. Can you describe the kind of work that is done on this job?
    - Creation of digital designs in order to meet a client's requirements and enhance user interaction on the web

2. Are there any special qualities necessary for this job?
    - An eye for spacial relationships, color and strong problem solving skills

3. Is there any special needs training? If yes, can you tell what it is?
    - No

4. What level of education is required for this job?
    - Aptitude and experience are enough for entry-level, but Bachelor's in design is desirable.

5. What tools of equipment do you use on the job?
    - I use Linux and Mac primarily, though any OS will do. Many designers use Photoshop or similar tools. Illustrator (or Inkscape), is much more difficult to learn, but it ultimately a better tool.

6. Are there any limitations (age, sex, race, height, weight)?
    - No

7. What is the dress code where you work?
    - I work out of my house, so unshaven in boxer's and a t-shirt will generally do, but when I do go in to work on-site, "business-casual" is the expectation that I fail to meet every time.

8. Are the hours regular? Is there much overtime? Are you paid for overtime?
    - I'm a bad example, so I'll use the other devs and designers at my company: The hours for them are regular, 40 hours. The company isn't too strict on arrival times, though they prefer everyone to at least be working by 09:00

9. What extra activities such as meetings, training sessions, etc, are you expected to participate in?
    - I don't deal with it, but the others who work full time often attend client meetings.

10. Is further training or renewal of certifications/licenses required?
    - Training in new technologies comes about from time to time, but certs/licenses don't exist

11. Are there any hazards in your work?
    - Carpal tunnel, other ergonomic type stuff

12. Are there any fringe benefits?
    - Not for part time. Can't speak for full time

13. Do you work alone or as a member of a team?
    - Both, but generally alone. If each project is a machine, I'm one really big cog in the middle

14. Is there any part of your work that you dislike?
    - Dealing with clients, but some love that

15. What do you like best about your work?
    - CODE

16. Why did you enter this field?
    - That's a long story, but in short, I fell into it, then fell in love with it.

17. Is there an opportunity for growth/advancement in this job?
    - Yes, especially in a corporate-level agency

18 Would you recommend this kind of work to others?
    - Only if they want to be awesome. But seriously, yes.
    Vapr_Arts and Andrew Yurlov like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads