Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Transfering from prfessionaly managed site to self-managed

Due to cost our organization-an historical society-will be moving from our professionally managed website to a self managed one; I will be the manager. I perceive it would be easier to transfer certain pieces of the existing site into the new one, rather than rebuild them. We take membership renewals and signups for various events using registration and donation forms, so these would critical on the new site and perhaps easier to transfer than build. Other things I am concerned with are our domain name and our email addresses; don't want to change those if it can be avoided.

I have looked at site building tools/services such as WIX and Formsite, and they look fairly simple to manipulate. Am I crazy, or could I not just run the two sites parallel? Of course, the new one should not be available to the public until fully built. Any advice would be sorely appreciated--thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Wix will not work if you have any form of database from what i remember and you need a db if you say you have memberships and maybe even for the donations forms?

Avoid using sites like wix/weebly as they do not allow you to fully customize your site. Consider getting your own hosting account could range from $50/yr to $20/mon depending on what you need. Id be safe to assume you could get most of what you need for your site to run can be done on a relatively cheap hosting package. Unless you have an outrageous number of traffic.

Then look into a CMS( Content Management System) which is what you are looking to get out of wix minus the lack of resources wix offers. Wordpress is the most common.

To get the db onto a new site you will depend on what host/professional site managers offer for you. They should be able to help you.

If you purchased the domain name it is yours. You can move it from host to host and have it display any site you want in a sense. How you do it will also depend on what the people offer you now. What access do you have to the backend of the professional managed site? Can you get into cPanel? Can you use FTP?

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Thanks for the quick reply! We do not use a db on our website now and won't need one going forward.

We can afford the very minimal fees you describe.

I believe the current site is a Wordpress set up, but we do not have any access to the back end right now. Does that mean that there is a possibility we could move the site intact to another Wordpress setup with a different host?

I think the domain name is ours, as we pay an annual registration fee for it.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You subscribe to a shared webhost, such as GoDaddy or cleverdot.com

You only pay for a webhosting account, since you already have a domain hosting account.
    These are two different accounts that may or may not be hosted by the same company.

When you have your own webhost account, they have a feature in the control panel to automatically install wordpress as your website.

Then, you point your existing domain name to your new webhost account.

You should give us a link to your existing site so we can verify that it is indeed wordpress.
    We can also determine what wordpress theme template you are using.

As far as transferring it, that will be difficult without back-end access. You'll be able to duplicate the theme template if it's not custom, but the content itself is stored in a server database. If it really is wordpress and you are breaking ties with your current management person(s), they should be able to give you a backup of the database. I'm assuming the separation is friendly? Otherwise, you're sort of starting over again with the content.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jan 28th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Member #
    The separation should be friendly, after a 6-7 year relationship. If you would take a look at our site, that would be very helpful:

Air Force Historical Foundation

jv

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm glad you showed your site.

It's not wordpress.

It is a site created on a server that uses ASP ... probably a windows webhost server.

There is a guy here that knows ASP, I don't.

The site looks very professional and well-done.

If it were me, I would subscribe to a webhost with windows server and ASP.
    Then, see if your design company can move it for you ... for a fee of some kind.

In my opinion, it's not going to be easy to do. And once it's moved, it will require someone to maintain/make changes. Not a beginner type of thing.

Remove Ads