Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Designer

JMG
    Member #

Smile New Designer

Hello Everyone!

I am just about finished getting my Bachelors but I am at a point that I have to put it on hold until I come up with more funding. In the meantime I want to work on my portfolio and maybe do a few things on the side. I currently am not working in the web design field.

My real question is this, I want to make up some "dummy" sites, so what would be my best route to take?

Thank you,

JMG

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Just pick a field or a niche and design for it. The trick is to pick something you actually like and are passionate about for the first few.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

JMG
    Member #
    Thanks Andrew, I do have some ideas but what I am not sure of is - will I need to make each site live on the web and if so how will I indicate to people that it is just for my portfolio and not real items that they think they can either purchase or respond about.

JMG

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Yea it definitely has to be live and linked in you're portfolio site. The way I have it set up is I have a screen shot of the website that is also a link to the site as well has having a normal link to it. Then on the side of that I have a little description and the type of technologies and skills I used to create that site. This is where I would put the "just for portfolio purposes" part.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

JMG
    Member #
    Thank you, that is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure that was the way to do it.

Really appreciate the response.
    JMG

Member #
    I am looking for a starting point on what I need to do. I do not know what it is that releases me from this mind block I am having

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy78sam78 View Post
    I am looking for a starting point on what I need to do. I do not know what it is that releases me from this mind block I am having
    Well first you need to identify WHAT you are wanting to do?

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have a look these design and review it....

[EDIT: Vapr_Arts is correct. This is not the thread to ask for a design review. Reviewing screen captures is pointless, anyway. TheGAME1264]
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Feb 04th, 2015 at 03:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alexiscooper5 View Post
    Have a look these design and review it....

Attachment 4564
    No. We do not review website concepts. We review websites. Once you turn that concept into a functioning website we will be more than happy to review it for you. So long as you post it in the appropriate section: in a NEW post made by YOU in the reviews section.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I am just about finished getting my Bachelors but I am at a point that I have to put it on hold until I come up with more funding. In the meantime I want to work on my portfolio and maybe do a few things on the side. I currently am not working in the web design field.

My real question is this, I want to make up some "dummy" sites, so what would be my best route to take?

Thank you,

JMG
    Don't. Build something real and practical that people can see and that demonstrates applied knowledge. "Dummy" sites are basically templates and useless; do something real and unique and that's a lot more credible.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads