Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

unusual or usual fonts

I'm puzzled about styling for uncommon fonts. I would assume nearly everyone's browser would have to use the fonts already on the local machine, and therefore if we style with a font that's usually absent the fallback fonts in a stack would be the norm and therefore we should judge layouts based on the fallback fonts and their character widths, x-heights, and so on, not on the unusual fonts. But apparently many designers use unusual fonts, with some font designers licensing very unusual fonts for website use, so I must be not understanding a point. I don't want to force a user or a host to install a font for the sake of my websites, either automatically or manually. Should we really design for a font that maybe one or two machines in a hundred have? Shouldn't we rely on the boring but commonplace fonts almost everyone has and rely on non-font-face techniques to enhance a site? If I like a rare font, how could users without it get to use it?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You can render fonts on anyone's browser by using JQuery (javascripting).

https://www.google.com/search?q=rend...ng+jquery+2014

Many WordPress sites display odd fonts by using plugins that utilize various methods.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    You can import any font you desire through a couple of lines of CSS code for eg:

@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Satisfy); <---this imports a font from google fonts

@font-face {
    font-family: Nirmala UI;
    src: url('fonts/Nirmala.ttf'); <--- this font here I have inside a folder on the server.

Haven't had any issues of the fonts parsing on any browser or platform as such that I know of.
    For the mobile conscience though, you could have within the media query to display a more common font for bandwidth sake if your inclined, which wouldn't really take much to implement. Just some thoughts.

Remove Ads