Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Web Design Project Need Help! - Hosting & CMS Question

Hello Web Design Forum,

I've recently undertaken a freelance web design project for a local optometrist in town and I'm looking for your guys valuable input regarding Hosting and CMS that I will be using for this project. Please read my detailed notes below so you can understand what I'm looking for and you will be better able to help answer my questions.

To give you a background I'm a somewhat entry level web designer/front-end developer and I don't have really much if any freelance experience trying to figure out what the best Hosting and CMS solution would be for a client (as this was usually already figured out for me when I worked at my career starting Web Design company). I have about 4 years of experience in Web Front-End coding (HTML, CSS, Javascript/Jquery, Bootstrap), I worked mainly with ASP.net, FTP, a Custom Content Management system that my old web company made just for its clients to use, they hosted their CMS on Windows Servers (IIS) using MySQL (not Microsoft SQL). I do not have IT background or back-end development experience, including I do not know how to manage a database either. (MySQL, Microsoft SQL, etc.)

Insight on my client: Their current site, which will remain up during new site development, is hosted with the company they are leaving from. The company has the site built with ASP.net web forms and hosted it on a shared Windows Server, using MySQL, and their own custom CMS (which they claim is obsolete). So the Hosting will need to be transferred and the CMS will need to replaced.

The new site will be conversion driven. New responsive UI/UX, responsive code framework, fast server responses, have multiple custom coded templates (that I will code in HTML and will need to connect to the CMS), simple CMS (for editing content, adding photos, article/blog writing, adding and deleting pages, organized page structure), custom simple appointment request form that sends an appointment request email to office staff member email address, custom simple contact form that sends email to office staff member, SEO is very important (automated and editable friendly URLs with no page extensions, automated sitemap, provides open graph tags, xml sitemap creation, good performance, robots.txt, optimized meta title and descriptions, the code to the site will need to be easily editable as well as it will need to be organized and opitimized for SEO). The site will preferably need to be written in ASP.net as that is the language I understand for Masterpages, .ascx control files, and such. The CMS does not need to be overkill as the client is not Web tech savvy and will understands only how to do basic CMS tasks.

SO NOW TO GET TO MY QUESTION. What CMS and Hosting would you guys think would best work for me in my situation? (Based off the information I provided) A CMS and Hosting package would work if possible. I like ASP.net masterpages and such, it is what I know. And having a CMS that I can easily set up for my client, do the simple things he needs it to do and have it do automatic updates would be ideal. Any information you can provide will help. If you can please list out your CMS and the Hosting provider I can use to go with the CMS, also please elaborate your professional opinion of the CMS and Host provider you are letting me know about (is it easy to install and get going, will it work for my situation, etc.)

Thank you and best regards to everyone who can help. I look forward to your responses!
    Last edited by thebluce; Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I think the best route for you to go is user WordPress for the CMS and get a good shared webhost like Sectorlink

You should go for WordPress because its popular with lots of templates to choose from which means it has lots of documentation and online support. It is very user friendly and out of all the other cms's its easiest to learn.

Sectorlink is one of those few good hosting companies that actually have a competent customer service team. It is also one of the few good ones left that are not under the EIG parent company. They are known for their crappy customer service. Sectorlink might be a little bit more pricey but is best and most reliable way to go.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #

Thanks for the input sir

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    I think the best route for you to go is user WordPress for the CMS and get a good shared webhost like Sectorlink

You should go for WordPress because its popular with lots of templates to choose from which means it has lots of documentation and online support. It is very user friendly and out of all the other cms's its easiest to learn.

Sectorlink is one of those few good hosting companies that actually have a competent customer service team. It is also one of the few good ones left that are not under the EIG parent company. They are known for their crappy customer service. Sectorlink might be a little bit more pricey but is best and most reliable way to go.
    Thanks Andrew for the input! I have considered WordPress but don't know too much about Apache Web Servers and PHP. ASP.net Windows route is something I'm familiar with and that is what I'm weighing is should I stick to what I know or try something else which I don't really know much about. This is for a client and I'm not sure I want to gamble the success of the project by me winging the Wordpress installation, security and management as I go and maybe making critical timeline and budget mistakes along the way by just from going the unsure route of choosing WordPress. I'm a freelancer so credibility and success means everything to me. I'm going to make note of your suggestions, thank you sir! And please feel free to add more to the conversation if you'd like.

-Bryan

Member #
    Hey, thebluce. I totally get your perspective. In my opinion you should deliver this project using the skills you have available. You can and should expand skill sets to WordPress, etc., but perhaps you want to save that for another project.
    Two good ASP.Net CMSes are Umbraco, which is free, and Sitefinity, which is paid. Sitefinity comes from Telerik, who already create some great ASP.NET controls

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Another route would be Sitecore. Just use the MVC version not webforms.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You may use this tool TemplateToaster. I think this tool can solve all your problems. I am also a web designer.So I am recommending this tool.As CMS are concerned, this tool also support all the top CMS.But I think if you want an eCommerce website you may use Magento or Prestashop, For professional website you may choose Drupal,

Remove Ads