Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Would you use this service?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Would you use this service?

Hello,

I am 90% complete building this service for myself and am trying to determine if others would want it too. Whether or not it sounds like something you use, could you please provide a brief reason why or why not?

The service:

Whenever I started a new blog post, or any project that required design material (icons,templates,photos,articles,etc.) I wasted tons of time tracking it down, making it look great together, and then paying. This service essentially asks me which categories I'm working with (food, travel, startup, etc. ) and quickly finds relevant content to use for my custom project. It displays relevant templates, icons photos and more ... and sources nearly 100 websites and counting. This allows me to concentrate more on the design/writing and less on searching so I'm loving it.

Does this sound like something you would use? Why or why not?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    So you are creating a stock photography site? Why don't you explain to me WHY i should use this service.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No, this is not a stock photography website.

It's a web-based service you subscribe to which provides relevant design content including (but not limited to) high-resolution photographs, icons, templates, article snippets and more.

You simply specify the subject matter of your project or blog post (such as Healthy Living, Travel, Technology, etc. ) and my service will provide you a unique URL which redirects you to a visually pleasing display of the design material that best suits you and your unique needs. I'm also incorporating a brief "description" area where you can add more detail about your project in order to receive more accurate results.

I use this when I'm designing new websites to easily find professional templates, icons and images that work great together. This saves me time from searching multiple sources and scrolling through crap. I've gone to great lengths to ensure professional quality results, and providing content that complements each others' design.

It delivers a customized set of material and content tailored to your specific needs. This isn't a stock photography website full of crap you don't need. It's a service that sources nearly 100 websites to quickly find design material that looks excellent together and addresses your project's design requirements.

I love using it and am looking for feedback. I'm open to all questions/comments. Thank you
    Last edited by matheson; Feb 27th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Google search ... images? I have no problem using that to find things.

Your site will give relevant results to other sites ... but they won't be free. Nobody gives away free photos. You can't just steal them.

So I pay for your service, and then pay again for content?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You must not be a designer. If you were you would understand that theres no way you could find the material that best suits my needs off of a couple of keywords.

I am not trying to be negative, nor am i trying to say this isnt a tools someone else may have a need for, but you asked if i would have a need and my answer is probably not. Theres just too many variables that go into these decisions and on top of that, like mentioned above, usage rights would be a concern id have as well.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks to you both, I openly welcome all feedback, positive or negative.

@mlseim: You're right, Google can provide images easily but that only works with images and not other design content that people may use. Perhaps bloggers or web design novices would find the task of finding relevant, professional design material daunting and tedious. That's just a hypothesis and I'm testing it out. Regarding your point of "nobody gives away free photos" I feel obligated to disagree as I've found over 30 resources claiming just that, such as Unsplash.com, gratisography.com, and bucketlistly.com. As for payment, initially I may offer the service for free but if it gains traction and people seem to benefit then I may impose a price. That's sort of up in the air, I'm simply trying to gauge interest right now. Either way, thank you.

@Vapr, You're right I'm not a designer, but I feel that my service currently provides a decent level of accuracy for my web design/blogging needs. I'm sure there are others like me who could benefit greatly in time and energy by being handed quality, relevant, targeted design material for their project. Whether that fully addresses the needs of more professional individuals like yourself is up for debate. There's always room for growth in the future though. Appreciate any further input whatsoever.

Thanks everyone.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    "Float it and find out." If it's 90% complete, you might as well try it and see what people think.

Depending on how useful the tool is, I might take advantage of it if it were free. I'm mostly a developer, however, so I don't have a lot of use for most of what you're listing off. Pay for it? Not a chance. I have free tools that offer me comparable value. Just trying to be honest here; nothing against you personally. Don't really know who you are to hate you or anything.

The one thing I would caution you against is that "you love your tool." You're the only one using your tool. The test comes when others do/don't use your tool.

EDIT if there's a link we can see, it might be more useful to this conversation. Consider this a mod's permission to go post the link.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Sounds like a good idea, how about you use me as a guinea pig and i'll let you know what I think?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by breno View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, how about you use me as a guinea pig and i'll let you know what I think?
    I may just take you up on that offer. I'll be looking for beta-testers soon I'm sure (free-of-charge of course). You could very well hear from in the not too distant future. Thanks for your interest!

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by matheson View Post
    I may just take you up on that offer. I'll be looking for beta-testers soon I'm sure (free-of-charge of course). You could very well hear from in the not too distant future. Thanks for your interest!
    Sweet look forward to hearing from you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads