Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: PHP, javascript with node.js or other?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

PHP, javascript with node.js or other?

What would be the best to be proficient in?
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Bump. Anyone??

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Personally i think PHP, but i havent done much with Node.js

The reasons why i chose PHP is because of security. Javascript can be altered by a user at the front end and because of this there are security issues. It really depends on the site id say but security alone makes PHP a better choice to learn first, at least for me.

Javascript can be disabled on a browser and that may cause problems for the site.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    PHP and especially MySQLi (i=improved).
    The two go hand-in-hand in most dynamic applications.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I just did a quick search online and i did notice that node.js is technically not a front end language and cannot be altered by a visitor in the same way javascript can be. So my points are no longer relevant but i still feel PHP has more capabilities. It may be because i don't know as much as i thought i did about node tho.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Honestly I'd start with PHP, and then move to Node. Node is currently in 0.12.0.. so , technically still beta. I do think that eventually more sites will be on the MEAN stack and Node will have its day, but PHP is a pretty simple language so start there and move ob to Node.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm starting to see a lot of job postings looking for someone proficient in Node. I haven't built anything major in it, but I have messed around with it. The thing to understand about Node is that you aren't just scripting like you would with PHP. With PHP, all of the server logic is handled by whatever server software you use. You simply give the server scripts to execute. With Node, you have a C-based engine that can execute JavaScript, and has some server APIs you can tap into. From there, you quite literally create the server. You write a script that will handle incoming requests. So, rather than a the server software searching for and serving index.php when a root request comes in, you'll write a script that serves whatever page you want when that request comes in. The power in this comes from the fact that you can basically do whatever you want at that point. If you are using a database (even MySQL), you can take that time to pull whatever information you need to from it, and serve a template with that information as part of it.

I'd say go with both. The paradigms are very different. If that's not enough, if you know JavaScript, you already have a leg up with Node, but if you learn PHP, you're backwards compatible with pretty much most of the web.
    Vapr_Arts and Andrew Yurlov like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Before I found out about node I was doing PHP for a while so i'm fairly familiar with it. So from what you're saying I think I will go with PHP for now because its the most commonly used server side language which means most job postings will want that skill.

-Steve Jobs

Remove Ads