Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you divide the work?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

How do you divide the work?

Me and my partner recently scored an amazing contract with an international company. We need to build them an amazing website in about three weeks. So my questions is how do YOU guys divide the work with you're partner in crime? We are both good at about the same things. HTML5, CSS3, javascript, jQuery, PHP, MySQL, etc. The only thing I can think of is that he is much better at 3D modeling software like Blender and PHP.

This is a huge opportunity for us to get our names out there. If anyone has any suggestions at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Mar 08th, 2015 at 10:07 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Honestly, kid, you should have thought of that beforehand.

With that said, the best way to divide it is in a way that will get the work done as quickly as possible if you both have the same skill sets. I really don't have any better advice for you than that, since much of what you're doing will be sequential and probably can't be split for time leveraging purposes.
    RDesignista likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Agreed, we should have planned this out. The reason we didn't is because we didn't have much time to plan it out. I pretty much got thrown into this because my partner was made the offer and he took it before it was off the table and i'm glad he did.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, I've been in those situations.

Again, the best thing you can do is figure out how to time leverage as much as you can...although it probably won't be much. Maybe once the layout is created, you divide the work up by home page/each of the subpages and then you guys build out the sections from there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Yea that sounds like a great idea. I did think of something that he isn't good at and has never done. He doesn't know how to do responsive design and how media queries work.. Maybe he can work on the normal desktop version while I create its responsiveness? Although if we do it like this he would always have to be one literal page ahead because we cant do that at the same time on the same page. Also I'm used to creating the responsiveness at the same time as I do the usual css work so that could be a bit awkward for me to adjust to.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's why I said do the layout first and then you guys can fill in the blanks afterward. That way, the responsive parts are largely worked in.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    make a list of things.

have a process.

divide up those things and work along the process together.

i honestly think you two could work independent and just use each other to peer review.

example: he puts together a foundation (html reset, html5 shiv, responsive grid) and you make the wireframes. he works on the slideshow, while you put together their about us page. etc

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I guess I will talk to him about it and work out some kind of process. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    I guess I will talk to him about it and work out some kind of process. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
    yes, please do. i think for a young team like yourselves, having an international company is indeed a really big opportunity. you should simply glue your eyelids open and install a red bull iv so you can work the maximum amount of time for this. if your partner can't put in as much time as you, oh well, better pick up the slack for him. 3 weeks isn't a lot of time for a full website process. you should at least have a test site ready in 2 weeks so that your client can preview.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    yes, please do. i think for a young team like yourselves, having an international company is indeed a really big opportunity. you should simply glue your eyelids open and install a red bull iv so you can work the maximum amount of time for this. if your partner can't put in as much time as you, oh well, better pick up the slack for him. 3 weeks isn't a lot of time for a full website process. you should at least have a test site ready in 2 weeks so that your client can preview.
    Oh you better believe I will. 24 pack of redbulls coming right up haha. I think we will be able to finish it fairly easily because the client is providing all the necessary text, images, logo, etc before we even officially start this. They also know exactly what they want(almost every client I have, had no idea of what they actually wanted/needed) so I think that would save us a lot of time and we may even finish this with minimal hair loss

-Steve Jobs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads