Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old guy needs help with a new website

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    7
    Member #
    47574

    Question Old guy needs help with a new website

    I first did a website in 1998, using MS Publisher and then quickly moved to FrontPage. This was a site that I maintained and added content to regularly up until last February, using FrontPage the whole time (yes, I know).
    I have changed jobs and my new employer would like me to do the same concept again, and I'd like your input on what design software or web app to use.

    Here are the parameters:
    - This is the only site I'll be doing, and it will take me 1-2 hours a week once I get it up, so I don't believe I have time to learn HTML. I liked the wysiwyg part of FrontPage.
    - It is an informational web site for our clients. It would be a very simple site by design - mostly a collection of web links and articles, and perhaps an embedded spreadsheet or two.
    - The clients are mostly rural and not computer savvy (compared to the average consumer), the info is all that they want, no razzle-dazzle. Some would even have dial up connections yet so load time would be a consideration.

    I know I'm a dinosaur, but I'd like to get some input from the pro's.
    Thanks!

  2.  

  3. #2
    Senior Member Vapr_Arts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,930
    Member #
    37412
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cowlouie View Post
    I first did a website in 1998, using MS Publisher and then quickly moved to FrontPage. This was a site that I maintained and added content to regularly up until last February, using FrontPage the whole time (yes, I know).
    I have changed jobs and my new employer would like me to do the same concept again, and I'd like your input on what design software or web app to use.

    Here are the parameters:
    - This is the only site I'll be doing, and it will take me 1-2 hours a week once I get it up, so I don't believe I have time to learn HTML. I liked the wysiwyg part of FrontPage.
    - It is an informational web site for our clients. It would be a very simple site by design - mostly a collection of web links and articles, and perhaps an embedded spreadsheet or two.
    - The clients are mostly rural and not computer savvy (compared to the average consumer), the info is all that they want, no razzle-dazzle. Some would even have dial up connections yet so load time would be a consideration.

    I know I'm a dinosaur, but I'd like to get some input from the pro's.
    Thanks!
    What exactly do you want from us? You have already said you like Front Page? Majority of us would not recommend a WYSIWYG editor so we wouldn't have any alternatives for you.


    Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    1
    Member #
    47676
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Man reading around were you answer peoples questions , Whats with this attitude of yours ?

    Will never ask one here for I am sure that attitude will show up .

  5. #4
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Vapr_Arts has a valid point, especially given the parameters of the question. The person wants a WYSIWYG editor and wants to minimize download times so that people on dialup connections can access the content. That's a very tall order, given the code bloat that WYSIWYG editors come up with.

    With that said, it's not completely insurmountable. There is exactly one WYSIWYG editor that I've seen that is comprehensive and minimizes code bloat....CKEditor. It is available as a Joomla! extension, although I have not personally tried it since I'm not a Joomlarianite.

    CKEditor - Joomla! Extension Directory

    So my suggestion, even though I haven't personally used it, would be to use Joomla in conjunction with CKEditor.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    7
    Member #
    47574
    Thanks so far for the feedback so far. It's okay, I already know I'm a luddite!
    I didn't know wysiwig bloats code so bad, I used it because that's what I started with. While I like it because of the short learning curve, it's not a must. What would you suggest that is better and easy to learn for the amateur? Again, it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles.

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6
    Member #
    47674
    It's a money question, too. As far as wysiwyg editors go, i like Dreamweaver the most, but it's pricey.

    Try Kompozer maybe, it's free.

    Personally I recommend using split view and start to edit stuff in code first, you'll learn on the fly.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Vapr_Arts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,930
    Member #
    37412
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TumbleWeed2 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Man reading around were you answer peoples questions , Whats with this attitude of yours ?

    Will never ask one here for I am sure that attitude will show up .
    I am all for helping others and it may appear that i have an attitude when answering questions to some but the truth is i dont. I am a very blunt and straight forward person and to some that may come off as aggressive or having an attitude. The truth is I had a valid question. What exactly does he want? We are a community of coder/programmers who hand code things.. Look around.. We usually do not recommend using WYSIWYG editor. So the answer i gave was appropriate. I do not sugar coat things and i do not beat around the bush.. Ask your question and ignore my answer, or for that ill try to avoid answering your questions if this will make you more comfortable asking here but i cant help but answer in the way i know best.. Straight forward and no bullshitting.


    Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

  9. #8
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cowlouie View Post
    Thanks so far for the feedback so far. It's okay, I already know I'm a luddite!
    I didn't know wysiwig bloats code so bad, I used it because that's what I started with. While I like it because of the short learning curve, it's not a must. What would you suggest that is better and easy to learn for the amateur? Again, it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles.
    Like I said. Joomla! might help you. www.joomla.com. You install it on the server...some hosts even have a script to do all the work for you. You should find a minimalist theme out there as well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    7
    Member #
    47574
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Like I said. Joomla! might help you. www.joomla.com. You install it on the server...some hosts even have a script to do all the work for you. You should find a minimalist theme out there as well.
    Yes, thank you very much. I saved that link after your first post. I guess my question in the second post was - if wysiwyg bloats code so bad is there any other easy to learn and use software you would recommend? I'll be checking Kompozer out as well since Rhadan suggested that.

  11. #10
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,723
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    718 times
    @cowlouie,
    Who is your webhost, and can you show me a link to your site?

    If the content changes are simple plain-text (not rich-text), the online edit abilities can be rather simple.
    By that, I mean the other people will be able to update their own content.



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com