Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Multiple choice, which fits your perception.

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • This plan is reasonable.

2 100.00%
  • The price needs to be lower to start, but calls will come in.

1 50.00%
  • Web design is a dying career because...explain.

0 0%
  • I will run overmyself if I think my qualifications prepare me for this.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Member #

First post/ some questions on the business end of freelance work

Hello,

I have gotten my foot in the door to do some web design in my region, looking at the following facts about me, please give insight as to whether you feel I am on the right track as far as expectations...

1)I am in a rural area, but service area is 1/2 of state of VA, 3 mil people within 1.5 hrs.
    2) I have run my company site, which became quite large, since 2004.
    3) I know HTML & CSS quite confidently, JS I cannot read, I am basically just HTML/CSS now
    4) My prior company (still active) is aerial photography, since 2004, quite settled in that.
    5) People/English skills are probably 65th percentile, I am solid with people but not a salesman type.
    6) I am self employed right now, and can go to 40/hrs a week in a hurry if the market calls, or 10 hours. I don't want a phantom business though that gets one call a month.
    7) I am 36, had two significant careers so far, have an AS in Engineering, no other degrees "School of hard knocks doesn't write diplomas as of yet."

My target market observations:
    1) My area has a few firms that can make super sites for over $5000 each, they are better than I.
    2) My area has a few freelancers that do not seem to have that polished of a web presence, i.e. their sense of style, or marketing class is something that I can keep up with.
    3) I target Dr's, lawyers, small businesses that seek a B level - respectable site with photography and SEO for around $2,000.
    4) Any company that is franchised has no need for me, franchises=bad !
    5) I will pass on e-commerce, or other heavy applications, going for mid-range sites for "Professionals."
    6) I realize that these dr's and lawyers can try the DIY attempt thru a number of avenues, but to get my complete photo-design-seo package with no nonsense and little of their time tied up, should be worth $2k.
    7) We like to think that "tech" is a growing field, but thinking 1-2 decades ahead, we will still see dr's/lawyers needing basic B level sites; I trust that no magic recipe will run over the need to get a fellow on-site with a camera and a brain to give them this, right?

My recently posted site for this venture www.pragmaticsite.com.

So I chose the list format above to divy out my circumstances, feel free to comment on my expecations, where this industry has evolved within the past decade (better, worse, or major shift in emphasis), and where you see it heading in the next decade. Also for those who manage sites for others, what is it like to manage 200 sites at one time (the most I'll ever likely manage). I personally see less profit in hosting, I see fair profit in building sites for $2k over 3 days, just how I see it, but must host as well to offer a complete service.

Thanks for any wisdom on this.

Remove Ads