Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Brian Angel

Thread: Hiring someone to build website?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Hiring someone to build website?

If I decide to have someone build a website for me, how do I know that the person is good at what they do and knows what they talking about? Are there questions that should be asked that will pinpoint the pro's and weed out the amateurs?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The question you just asked. The pros will understand it completely and give you an answer that fits your specific needs, and the amateurs will give you generic schlock that doesn't really answer anything. (The previous sentence doesn't count!)

In your particular case, you posted a Medicare site earlier. So what you'd want to do is look for answers specifically pertaining to your site, its target market, features you could add to make it unique (although there probably aren't many), how to market it throughout Virginia, etc. Anyone who comes at you with "you need to follow These Seven One-Size-Fits-No-One Magic Steps" can pretty much be ignored.

Another trick you can try is to get whoever responds to you to answer a specific way or use a phrase. One of the tricks some oDesk employers use is to get prospective freelancers to use a non-standard phrase in the subject line just to see who's really paying attention...most don't. In your case, you may want to get people to respond to you with say "Affordable Care Act" in the subject. It's a simple test, but it's disturbingly effective.
    dwayne1964 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Good advice, THANKS!!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I'm 50-50 with the Game on this. The 1st and especially the 3rd are good ideas. But finding a dev. who knows your market, might be a bit harder. I have don work for a Bank, Media Corporation, and an Energy Trading/ selling ( hell I still don't really know what they do) firm.

Did I know much about there product, nope. Did I learn once hired, yup. Did the marketers give me a bunch of "hey we want this, but with our own spin", yup. Find your platform ( PHP, Ruby, whatever). And TestDome plans | TestDome.com. See how they do. It may be up to you to point them in the direction from time to time.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I guess I should clarify what I meant by "knowing the target market". You're right, Brian; no applicant is likely to know more about the target market than the person who owns the site, or even as much. If the applicant knows as much or more about the target market than the person who owns the site, there's a problem right off the top. What I meant was that the applicant can at the very least look at the site and ask questions about it pertaining to the site and about the potential target market e.g. Dwayne's site is about Medicare, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable assumption to assume that people in their mid-30's and up would be targeted (since younger people think they're invincible and all that). You don't have to know everything, but you should be able to at least guess at something.

You can always learn the products/services as a designer/developer along the way. For example, I have apparently acquired enough HVAC knowledge over the years to at least be able to be a rookie fireplace or heating/air salesperson should I ever decide to stop developing tools for people (not idle speculation, either...this is something I've been told). I've observed what went on in my clients' stores, I've helped with content, I've built custom quoting tools, etc. The same could apply here. Again, using Dwayne's site as an example...the one thing I would wonder about is who could apply for Medicare or supplemental insurance with a preexisting condition. Just for the sake of defining one, let's use lymphatic sarcoma. If I have lymphatic sarcoma, what coverage(s) am I eligible for? Probably not too many if at all, but as a customer, I don't know that. As a developer, my mindset is "how would I get a customer to find that information?" As a hypothetical applicant, I would pass that on to Dwayne.

That's what I'm referring to as far as "knowing the market"...understanding the site enough to make comments specifically related to it as opposed to "create content, generate backlinks, bookmark the site on social media, and the 8 other generic things that don't work."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Always check his previous work experience . Tell that person to show you a project that he / she may have worked in the past . Ask if they have work on any live project .

Remove Ads