Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Encourage users to upgrade

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Encourage users to upgrade

I've been thinking lately, how can we as designers/developers encourage users to upgrade/install a modern browser?
    There's that issue of fixes for people with older browsers but i'm wondering what can we do in our work to thrust the percentage of people still using older browsers to actually upgrade? So that the percentage of users using older browsers to be considerably less.

I remember in the 90's websites would have a little graphic in the footer or header or on the side "Looks best with Netscape Navigator" and the link would take you to the download page so the user could get the best experience possible. Now i'm not saying we go back to that, or could we?

So i'm trying to think of an idea or ideas of being more proactive of bringing web users up to date, rather than always trying to create fixes to accommodate their level.

I hope I articulated what i'm thinking well enough

Thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I think it would take more than a footer. I hardly even look at footers. This would require a campaign bigger than some text at the bottom of a page.

People need to be made aware of the reasons to update. For us its rather obvious but for your average user they don't see any big changes with browsers.

Also for some older people updating can seem scary. Changes are not something they want. For instance my grandma still uses IE. I have tried to explain to her that it is inferior. Her first defense is that if it were why do "all" computers come with it. Then she will argue that it is easier. Not because it actually is but because its what she knows and she's afraid or not confident in being able to learn how to use the new stuff.

So to make any real progress it would have to include educating people not just mentioning that there is an update.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    I think it would take more than a footer. I hardly even look at footers. This would require a campaign bigger than some text at the bottom of a page.

People need to be made aware of the reasons to update. For us its rather obvious but for your average user they don't see any big changes with browsers.

Also for some older people updating can seem scary. Changes are not something they want. For instance my grandma still uses IE. I have tried to explain to her that it is inferior. Her first defense is that if it were why do "all" computers come with it. Then she will argue that it is easier. Not because it actually is but because its what she knows and she's afraid or not confident in being able to learn how to use the new stuff.

So to make any real progress it would have to include educating people not just mentioning that there is an update.

Yeah all those things passed through my mind, I thought about a campaign (however that would look like) and the complacent and uneducated would be the hardest to reach. Microsoft hasn't been a real help in this, restricting browser upgrades from older version of Windows but now they are trying to push users to update their OS (not for the web industries sake though) which I guess would help in some manner.

I'm also thinking perhaps some kind of incentive to have people upgrade, hmm...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Last site I did ( was for a fortune 300 company), the debate came up weather or not to support ie8. Thank the gods they said no ( or I sold them on it with analytic data from there current site). Anywho we put a large pop up with links to firefox chrome and opera(why not), with the message along the lines of site only supported by modern browsers. This way they had the links to the browsers.

Issue comes in with XP machines which are still in use who just cant RUN modern IE11, so that's all there left to do is get a 3rd party one.
    breno likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Angel View Post
    Last site I did ( was for a fortune 300 company), the debate came up weather or not to support ie8. Thank the gods they said no ( or I sold them on it with analytic data from there current site). Anywho we put a large pop up with links to firefox chrome and opera(why not), with the message along the lines of site only supported by modern browsers. This way they had the links to the browsers.

Issue comes in with XP machines which are still in use who just cant RUN modern IE11, so that's all there left to do is get a 3rd party one.
    Thanks for your input Brian I was thinking of pop ups like you mentioned to prompt users to upgrade (even assure the fearful that it's safe to do so). We hated pop ups 15 years ago but we have somewhat come back to them and I personally still hate them today haha

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I look at it as more of a modal window, or a fancy alert than a pop up. Sometimes they are the best way to get someones attention. You could force a redirect, but then your screwing with your bounce rate, so a pop up is a much smarter way to go.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    If you use a pop up/modal you should make it so it only appears once and then has a countdown until you see it again. Theres a website i use to frequent that would have a pop up every time i navigated to a different page n it drove a lot of people crazy. Also, i block pop ups now so be aware of that if you went this route. Im not sure if it will do anything other than annoy people honestly.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Well in this case, unless upgraded couldn't see any more of the site because the choice of no IE8 meant they would rather direct the EU to get a "proper" browser, than look amature with a broken site. And since Im showing a div, not calling window.open, pop up blockers wouldn't read it.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The pop up blocker was meant for the breno since he was the one that brought them up.

So if I don't update i cant see your site? The idea was to encourage users to upgrade, not force them. Are you sure a client would be ok with limiting its site to those who comply or would they want you to do your job and make it work on multiple browsers. Don't get me wrong, I understand why this is a good idea as far as development is concerned but will a client? I think it makes sense to us because this is what we do., but your client probably wont.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Again, according to traffic rankings, IE8 was at 1% of visitors browser, so choice was based on that. Also falling to Microsoft's life cycle, it was decided BY that company so, yeah, they were okay with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads