Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Recycling Website for e-waste buyers

I am working on building a web site for my recycling business. I am using this as a way to see how much I can do on my own before calling reinforcements. I want a professional looking, acting, and working site. A simple design is alright as long as it looks good.

Here is what I would like to do:

Home Page

Price List (This is a list of what I pay for each type of product or board)

Recycling News (I would like to use this for content.)

Visual Identification Guide (Pictures of each product and a description.)

My programming skills are very little. HTML is about it and I am a beginner. I did take QBasic in college, insert giggles here. My greatest accomplishment is creating a Facebook cover photo. I am getting good at taking pictures and editing them. My strengths are writing, sales, and marketing. I am learning every day. I need some help to figure out what the best way to proceed is. Here are my ideas.

Wordpress, all the free themes seem to not do what I want or do it in an uncomfortable way. I can't get exactly what I want or even close enough to compromise. It seems like I spend all my time figuring out what I can't do, or realizing the limitations. Could I overcome this by customizing the theme? Is it worth learning to customize the theme or would my time be better spent learning to code my site from scratch? I know this is a hard question to answer but would it take me say 40 hours to learn to and customize the theme as opposed to say 120 hours to learn to code the design I want from scratch? Or am I way off here?

If I go the route of coding from scratch what will i need to learn? HTML, then use CSS to get the layout, what else would I need to learn and in what order should I focus on dedicating the time to learning? I am not so concerned with time as I am with creating quality. I know what works when I am surfing on it. WP just always feels cheesy on the free site. I have been playing with the free site to try to nail down a design layout and content and am getting more and more frustrated.

Another idea I had was to pay for the general layout or customization of WP for this site and focus on marketing, content, and SEO. Any idea what it would take resource wise to hire someone for this? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    It sounds like your site will be more informational, and not require user registrations and logins? That would make it much easier to do. And not having ecommerce, credit card transactions, makes it even easier.

I'm thinking you don't really need a database or any major server-side (PHP) scripting.

If all of what I assume is true, you can look for a free (or premium) responsive HTML5 website template, and then customize it.

No wordpress, no database, not too much scripting.

What you would have to learn:
    Getting a real shared webhost account with domain name, such as using GoDaddy, or whatever.
    Unzipping and uploading a responsive HTML5 template.
    Using FileZilla (which is free) to connect your PC to your website and transfer files.
    Using Notepad++ (which is free) as your code/script editor, to customize the template files.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A WordPress site wouldn't be a horrible choice here if you intend to have people comment on your news and other features. If you don't care whether or not they interact with your content, then you don't need WP as Max said and you can get away with just a vanilla HTML/CSS site.

Another option, and one you might find more to your liking, is Joomla. (www.joomla.com). It's free like WP, not quite as bloated, and there are several templates available for it. The big problem you're going to run into is that most templates are built to be customized within the framework of the template itself...meaning that if you want to say add a page or an element of interactivity the template designers weren't expecting, you might break it.

If you want to pay someone to customize things, that depends on what you want done. If you just want a template customized, you can probably get that done for around $50-$100. If you want something more complex like say a contact form or a custom quote form, "prices may vary"...meaning they'll be all over the map and guessing would be pretty much like trying to figure out who's going to win Super Bowl MM.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I suggest you to start with create a content in any html content editor. Than paint layout in the Photoshop or others graphics program. When you will have both (content and layout) the price for the building site will be cheper. I can talk with you about this if you want

Remove Ads