Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Rookie questions

Member #

Rookie questions

Hello

Im a rookie to the web design/development field. I have taking a couple of html classes that peeked my interest. I ultimately want to be a freelancer. I have a few questions before I dive into the web design/development feel with both feet.

Is it a stable field? I know IT is going down badly. What about web design & development? Also which is better to do web design or web development or both. Besides HTML5 & CSS3 what other programs do I need to learn? Any advice would help

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The design side is flooded with people who know HTML/CSS as well as javascript. Definitely learn all three but you should focus on development more if you want to stay relevant. Learn things like PhP, and or Ruby on Rails. Try to learn Java (which is different from JavaSCRIPT) and Objective C. Java is used on android if im not mistaken and Objective C is used with IOS.

Your still going to be in a crowded market but this should help keep you floating above a larger portion of people.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to answer your second-last question first, because it's the easiest and because it will lead into my deeper answer. If you're equally good at both, do web development over web design but retain as much design knowledge as you can. If you have a strong aptitude for one or the other, pick the one you're good at if you can.

Which leads to my deeper point. I personally despise your question. It is in no way your fault, and you have a perfectly valid reason to ask this question, but I despise your question. The reason I despise your question is because it only examines the one side of the equation (i.e. the number of jobs perceived to be available in a field) and presumes it to be the entire equation (the status of the job market). This is the ***-backwards and archaic thinking taught to us by schools, job sites, headhunter agencies, and just about everyone else who has an opinion on "jobs"...and it is WRONG. That's why I don't blame you; you've received some misinformation that you legitimately thought was solid information.

Here's the truth of the situation: the job market is not absolute. It is not objective. It is not a set of statistics published by the government telling you that there are 20,000 vacancies in IT and 200,000 people looking for IT work and thus you shouldn't even bother. The job market is subjective, and it is based entirely on your skills, your experiences, your unique selling proposition as an individual, and any market that exists for your services as an individual. That means that whatever market is out there is based entirely on you as a form of human capital. You as a resource has a certain value. It might be high, it might be low, but it's based entirely on you. Since you want to be a freelancer...excellent choice, by the way...this becomes magnified. You will be evaluated in terms of other freelancers, and your market value will be based on what you bring to the table.

This is also why I suggested you go into development over design. Designers, as Vapr_Arts quite rightly pointed out, are everywhere. They're not quite on the level of retail cashiers in terms of skill and market value, but they're not as far off as they might like to think. I'm not one. I'm a full-time freelance developer and have been for almost 13 years. The reason i became a developer and focused on it is that it allowed me to take advantage of my ability to solve several different types of problems and thus increase my personal market value. That may not apply to you, but you may have intangible skills that will be enhanced as a developer or perhaps a designer. Maybe you can draw really well on paper. Maybe you have the ability to solve complex mathematical equations. Maybe you can make really kickass anime cartoons. Maybe you have some other abilities. You need to find those in you, figure out what types of things you want to do with a career in web design, and work toward that.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads