Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

An exp Leveling system

I am not a designer, so please keep that in mind. Most I have done is copy and paste HTML into dreamweaver while dragging and dropping the rest.

I am here for your help in determining what is needed (So I can properly describe it and convey my concept to someone who can help)

It goes a little something like this (And is subject to change based on difficulty/possibility):
    New members when they sign up start at level 1.
    To reach level 2, you gain exp. this is accomplished several ways. Participating in web site based activities, such as polls, donations, contests, and by social media. The latter is what I am worried about accomplishing, but I would like to reward exp based on twitter retweets of site content, shares on FB etc.

Can someone assist with the nitty gritty on this?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're looking for someone to tell you what sorts of things you'd require, I can tell you what you'll need in terms of "tools". If you're looking for someone to tell you how the tools go together and what goes where and how that is laid out, that's unfortunately beyond the scope of this and any other forum.

1. A server-side programming language. Dreamweaver and any drag-and-drop technology won't help you here. You need something along the lines of PHP, ASP.net, classic ASP, Ruby on Rails, or Java (not to be confused with javascript).

2. A database. MySQL, SQL Server, etc.

3. HTML/CSS/Javascript to display the pages, the activities, the polls, etc. This is where you may need a designer, but a designer alone won't suffice in this case.

3. A programmer/developer who can put it all together. What you're asking for, as simple as it may seem on the surface, is a very difficult job on a number of levels (e.g. scoring based on Twitter/FB) and requires as much understanding of "fuzzy logic" as it does technical skill. I've done similar sorts of jobs for people in the past, and they can take hundreds of hours' worth of time between figuring out the logistics of the scoring system, implementing each section, having an admin or "CMS" so that someone can look at and edit the data in a user-friendly manner as needed, detecting and blocking those who manipulate the system (you'd be surprised at what people will do for "points"), etc.

This is where our industry makes things needlessly confusing. We use the term "front end developer" to describe design-related tasks that require some "programming" in the form of Javascript or maybe even CSS/HTML. A true developer knows at least one of the languages I mentioned in 1. and knows them well. So you need to find someone with both the skill to implement what you've asked for and that you mesh with from a personality and intellectual standpoint. The former is extremely difficult; the latter may require you to bend a little bit more than you're comfortable with to accommodate the former.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point. If you have any followup questions, post back and hopefully I or someone else will be able to provide some clarity.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads