Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Pretty great dilemma about design approach of my new website, can I get some advice?

Member #

Pretty great dilemma about design approach of my new website, can I get some advice?

Hello there, this is my first post on this forum, I'm just an introverted guy from Poland who want to build a new website for my mom's music (and stage performance) school. The old one I built several years ago (when I didn't really understand webdesign at all) is actually awful and even worse for mobile devices, not to mention it's not responsive.

Sadly I'm perfectionist and I'm from few days struggling while trying to find optimal approach for the new site. I'm now reading, watching tuts and gathering tons of informations but still asking myself Is it better to use CMS like Wordpress, maybe just some supporting frameworks or entirely code it from scratch to have better controll over all of it. In the new version I wanna include:

• responsive layout
    • speed and performance, small page sizes, overall good for SEO (old one was horrible for SEO)
    • accout creating and login system for students (with all custom stats probably)
    • database for recent news and archive
    • javascript - jquerry functionality (maybe some integrated simple games in future)

I am expecting new site to be easily updatable but also to make custom tweaks and run all this back end system (probably written in PHP or something) I'm a little worried about Wordpress future manipulation possibilities, and if it's able to integrate well with custom php system and run smoothly, not colliding with the rest of my code. Wordpress is a great platform but I still considering writing site from scratch. If Wordpress was solution for everything people would probably only used it, but it's not like that. So.. why people still write regular sites if it's so much of everything (libraries, frameworks, CMS and stuff)?

Sorry.. I'm not really a pure webdesign guy, I just do it from time to time. So if you can give me some advice I would be glad. This way I can save much time I can lost if do something wrong. Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're worried about speed and performance, either stay away from W*rdPr*ss completely or make sure you have a host that has sufficient resource to run it. It's bloated, it's slow, and it can be insecure...especially when you add extensions to it. If you're going to be like most people, you will. The only thing WP has going for it is populist logic.

However, I don't recommend building it from scratch in your particular case, either...unless you want to do it to learn something, particularly about security. When you build your own CMS, you have to learn about the things that humans and bots will do to try and attack it...and they will, from every conceivable angle and for every conceivable reason including "just because we felt like it". So security is a factor.

This is where I'd look at a Joomla or a Drupal to see if either of them meets your specific needs. Security is a factor here as well, but from what I've seen of both it's nowhere near as much of a factor as WP.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    oh yeah.. security, I have completely forgotten this one little aspect, Thank You so much for answering my questiion, I will look at Joomla and Drupal more deeply!

Remove Ads