Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Make a very ugly site pretty

Hi, I'm trying to learn webdesign and web programming on my own. I have taken the codeacademy html/css/javascript courses. I have a background in c++ and visual basic. I have been tasked with making my friends website look nice. Currently it looks absolutely awful:

http://multilingualtours.us/

I am not asking to be spoon fed. I want to figure this all out myself so that I can truly learn from it and understand it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or offer some general guidance? I don't want to use wordpress or anything like that, I want to really understand the code and the process.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    This isn't really a coding problem but more a design problem. My advice would be to look online at other sites. See what you like that other sites are doing and try to replicate that in your own way.

Id also recommend to think about responsive design from the beginning. This does involve code but also aspects of design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Id also recommend to think about responsive design from the beginning. This does involve code but also aspects of design.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. A simple tip that will save me tons of headache by considering this in the beginning. I'm reading all about bootstrap and responsive design. Thank you so much.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Personally i have never used bootstrap, but from my understanding its not the best choice. Ive been so busy with school and haven't done much coding in awhile but i usually just used media queries and a grid of my own. The last thing i was working on/learning was flex-box in regards to responsiveness. So have a look at that as well and figure out what works best for you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's the thing...the site isn't as much "ugly" as it is "disjointed". From a strictly HTML/CSS point of view, it's not bad. It's basic, and contains errors (e.g. a stylesheet inside of a body tag), but there are certainly far worse examples from a code point of view out there.

What I would suggest you do is to utilize a similar approach and come up with a relatively simple design, but make sure that the "design of the content" fits the design of the layout. Lose the green background on subpages, for example. Make sure the content lines up on the same vertical plane as your menu (see the home page). Use a white background or a very light one for the content. Have a look at CSS3 to do a lot of simple transitions and effects. Once you get those things settled, you can start adding more graphic elements slowly but surely.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads