Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Seeking Advise

Member #

Seeking Advise

Greetings Community,

I come to you seeking advice. I apologize for this being so long. I have a complex web project in mind but I have very little experience and I do not wish to start off down the wrong path. I understand this project is very ambitious for a beginner and I would probably be better off hiring a professional but I like to learn and do everything for myself. It is just how I am.

I am basically at square one. I know what I want I just have no idea how to go about achieving it. That is where I need your assistance. I have no issue learning the different programming languages/programs that will be needed to achieve my goal however I do not wish to spend a lot of time learning things that will not be directly needed at this time. I will give a description of what I wish to accomplish and I ask that you give your advice on how you would accomplish it and what you see being needed. I can take it from there I just need pointed in the right direction(s).

I wish to create an interactive web page that has the ability to allow users, after creating an account, to input information which is then represented on the page where others can view it. Remember, I need to know how to approach this from the most elementary position.

Here is a description on my project..

The main page is a world map view of a game that is in development with all its towns and cities being represented. In this game players can set up vendors in which to sell their wares. My goal is to help players find what they are looking for by allowing sellers to post their goods with prices into a database that will then be represented on my website allowing buyers to either input a search or by interacting with my map to locate the item or price they are seeking.

Sellers, after making an account, would be able to post (example) 2 items free of charge but must pay for premium (monthly) service if they chose to list more at a time. Item listings expire after a set amount of time. Sellers can add their items by identifying them from a menu as well as the location.

Example: Paul has a “rusty sword” located in the city of Morgrn with a sell price of 200 copper. He would select rusty sword from a drop down list of items, pick Morgrn from the list of cities, and then input the numerical cost for the item.

The result, now the city of Morgrn on my map shows a marker to represent the vendor when someone searches in the search box for “Rusty sword” along with markers at all other cities that contain vendors with rusty swords. Buyers can also click on the city of Morgrn which brings up a listing of all vendors in that city and their list of items and prices.

Buyers would have the ability to rate sellers on honesty and representation and this rating would be presented along with the sellers in game name along with their listed goods.

I understand this is going to be multi layered and complex, what I need is direction. How do you think I should begin this project and what methods should I use?

I appreciate any help that can be given and I thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Baralis; Apr 19th, 2015 at 11:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well you have to know the basics, HTML/CSS/JavaSCRIPT(not java, they are different)

To create user accounts you need a database which you already planned to have one so thats no news to you, but you will need to learn about MYSQLi which is the database you will most likely use. You will also need to know PHP so that you can communicate with your database.

There isnt really an easy way to this. For this project you will have to know PhP pretty confidently as you will probably have to come up with some custom solutions since i doubt theres a "plug and play" out there for some of the things you have listed.

The interactive map is going to be the biggest issue for you. I honestly havent done anything like that and wouldnt know where to begin. I assume most if not all of it could be done using the languages i mentioned above but again you will have to have some good technical know-how to do it.

I completely understand the idea of wanting to learn everything and do everything on your own. I am exactly the same way and i think a lot of self taught people are in one way or another. With that in mind I also understand that some things may be out of my reach. Depending on how long you want to spend learning how to do it is what you should ask yourself. If you dont mind spending months/years learning you can do it but thats not always the smartest solution. Sometimes you have to let professionals do their jobs.

For example, say you have a job interview tomorrow but your car is broke. You could spend the time n learn what is wrong and how to fix it but it might not be the best option if you need that vehicle tomorrow to get to the interview.

Think about how long it will take you to learn and if that is more beneficial to you than having the site up sooner. You could still learn and also have the site finished by someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Thank you for the feedback Vapr_Arts. I am semi knowledgeable in HTML/CSS so I guess I will begin by refreshing that knowledge and then move on to learning MYSQL and PHP. I think that would give me a good place to reevaluate my position and perhaps bring in some professional assistance if needed.

Thank you for your time.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    No problem.. Stick around and ask as many questions as you need and we will do our best to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads