Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Rookie Website Questions

I am developing a new website that will be data heavy. I am relatively inexperienced, with only a personal website I designed with a WYSIWYG program and maintain myself. From what I have read I am probably best off using WordPress for this new one, but would love some feedback.

I don't want to go into details about the content but can give a hypothetical analogy.
    Let's say I was building a website that listed all the active Pro Athletes that have been on championship teams. I would have separate pages for the NFL, MLB, NBA etc. Each team would have it's own linked page and the players on those teams would be listed, with links to Wikipedia and other sites. I would like to be able to easily edit this once I have it up, as the data will change continually. Hopefully editing it online. This is just an example of the type of site.
    If, and a big If, the website gets enough views, I would like to add comments or forums. And i think a site Search box is a must.

I see it as similar to IMDB as far as layout and make up.
    I know I have a big learning curve, I just want to start out on the right path.
    Any feedback, or pointing to good articles would be a big help.
    Thank you,

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Do you know of any existing websites (or databases) that already have a list of active athletes on championship teams?

For starting out, you will be looking at using PHP along with MySQLi (for the database).
    A huge learning curve, but that's where you'll start.

You'll see a term called "CRUD". This means Create, Read, Update, Delete.
    Those are the 4 basic functions you will need to do when using MySQLi.

This site is probably one of the best tutorials for MySQLi. It demonstrates a few methods:
    https://www.codeofaninja.com/2011/12...-tutorial.html

Member #
    Thank you miseim

Your info is very helpful. I guess I will see if I am up to the task of learning it.

FYI, the website I describe is just an example of the type of site I have in mind
    The one I am working on is not about sports. I am just not ready to talk out it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Whether you want to be a WordPress.com pro or just need to get the hang of the basics, you can learn from their website word press learning center.

Member #
    Thank you.

Am I kidding myself that I can learn enough MySQL online to be able to manage my website?
    Last edited by marsb; Apr 22nd, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb View Post
    Thank you.

Am I kidding myself that I can learn enough MySQL online to be able to manage my website?
    Yes and no. MySQLi is pretty easy to learn and can easily be learned online. But thats the easy part. The other languages you need will be the issue. Again not impossible to learn online. I did it and you can too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Yes and no. MySQLi is pretty easy to learn and can easily be learned online. But thats the easy part. The other languages you need will be the issue. Again not impossible to learn online. I did it and you can too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I will give it a shot. The only thing I have to lose is time.
    I am sure I will be back here with loads of questions.

Member #
    More rookie questions.
    I found an online tutorial by Bucky Roberts that seems pretty good.
    He uses PhpAdmin as the server software. Would this be used in conjunction with WordPress, Or on top of a WordPress template. (My hosting site does have PhpAdmin in the Control Panel).
    Should I go forward with these lessons, or find one that uses WordPress.

You can see I am still a bit confused.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    When you subscribe to a webhost account, you get website storage for containing your website files. You can access them via your control panel, or using a free FTP program such as FileZilla.

Your webhost will also let you create some MySQL databases. These databases are stored elsewhere on their server. The webhost provides PhpAdmin as a way for you to access your databases. You can create a database, usernames and passwords to access the databases.

Technically, your website directory (where your website is installed) are totally separate from the MySQL databases on the webhost server.

WordPress is a PHP script that gets installed on your website (your webhost account). You can manually install it, or use a feature on your webhost control panel that installs it for you automatically. Look around on your webhost control panel for a feature that installs wordpress for you. By doing that, it takes care of creating the MySQL database that wordpress uses to store content.

So I'm recommending the wordpress direction. Have it installed automatically using your webhost control panel, and then look for online tutorials for wordpress. I don't think you'll have the time (steep learning curve) to learn PHP scripting and MySQL.

Member #
    Thanks. And I apologize for being dense, but you are saying forget PhpMyAdmin and just learn and use Wordpress?

Also do I build my databases offline on my PC and then import them, or do I have to do everything on the server at the host?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads