Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Web Development help please!

Member #

Web Development help please!

To say I am a novice with trying to build our put together a site is a huge understatement I'd like if I could an outline on how to build a site, similar to http://www.truecar.com [EDIT: link changed by TheGAME1264 because it was an affiliate link before]. i want to be able to put together integration with api's, database management, back end necessities and open for improvement! Where do I start, how do I begin ? Can someone list step by step what to do? Thank you k bye.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Apr 21st, 2015 at 08:06 AM.

Member #
    I think what I'm asking is a task list from a Web developer to break this down for me so I can plow through this. I want it to work great and glow. I just need help....

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You have one huge decision to make even before you start.
    1) Should the webhost server be Windows or UNIX/Linux?
    2) Should you use ASP.net (on Windows Server) or PHP (on UNIX/Linux)?

If you choose PHP, this is a good tutorial on MySQLi, which is the database you will use for all of the data:
    https://www.codeofaninja.com/2011/12...-tutorial.html

If you choose ASP, you'll have to find other tutorials (as I'm not an ASP user).

When you are able to CRUD (Create, Read, Update and Delete) with your MySQLi database, that will be a big step in the right direction.

Good luck ... you're in for a huge adventure. But go for it. You'll learn a lot.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Wow! That's awesome. Yea, I will be using UNIX/Linux. So from all of that I will be able to have a functioning site? I've already purchased I guess you could say from Joomla to help out since I liked the way everything could get layed out. When I complete all those steps I saw, is there more to making it fully functional? Sorry if it sounds redundant I have A LOT to learn. Thank you so much!

Member #
    I saw the site and I got more into it and was curious if there was anything newer, more fresh. Not as old..

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB2010 View Post
    I saw the site and I got more into it and was curious if there was anything newer, more fresh. Not as old..
    Are you talking about the codeofaninja site? If so then you shouldn't worry about how old it was when the post started. They update it and the last update was yesterday (4/20 in case you are reading this later than today)

Its a great tutorial and trust me its accurate and to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    These are functions, although good I need steps. What to do first, then second etc.

Member #
    I want to build something very similar to TrueCar. Like how can I do it. What steps are necessary and in what order, if you were to do it, how would you do it?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You have mentioned that you wish to use Joomla. Using a CMS system like Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, etc. already has the programming done for you. You use existing plug-ins to enhance the features, and you use "child themes" to customize the site.

Therefore, using Joomla, unless you need to create your own specific features, you won't have to do much programming.

Now, I'm not a Joomla expert, so I can't say much about features that will handle a site like yours. There are a ton of Joomla specific forums that you should be looking at. Ask questions about Joomla on forums that have Joomla experts.

If you plan on creating your own programs (scripting) from scratch, then you can use a pre-made HTML5 Responsive Template, either a free one or premium one. These type of templates cover the entire site design/layout, and responsive CSS for all screen sizes. They are "static" templates, so all of the background programming and scripting is up to you. But using them saves a ton of time.

Member #
    OK. So how would I input vehicles and such, like when and at what step? Should I be more concerned with putting content and then navigation to different pages and drop downs? What should happen and when?

Remove Ads