Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By adam3112
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Would like a quote and advice from a website designer / developer please?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Would like a quote and advice from a website designer / developer please?

Hi all,

I have a website idea in mind and want to get advice on costs and things. I do not want to put the idea forward here on this thread as it is potentially a business idea as much as just a website and would rather discuss it in a Private Message.

I have run some searches and cannot find any sites online that has this feature / functionality and believe this is a unique idea. If you are interested, and potentially want to help out then please PM me.

Many Thanks

Adam

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Would like a quote and advice from a website designer / developer please?

You may get a lot of PMs this way that aren't necessarily interested in the job just curious about what it is.

Is there any way you can shed a little more light on the project? I can understand and respect the intent to keep your idea a secret. By no means do i think this is a bad idea at all. I just feel we could be given more information publicly without exposing the whole picture. If not then by all means continue as you were.

Just some advice. Before exposing anything privately look over the users posts. Make sure it is someone who knows what they are talking about and not someone speaking out of their back end (no pun intended)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vapr_Arts; Apr 22nd, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What Vapr_Arts said.

What I would suggest is that, if you have an idea, post the general specs of the idea here and ideally just enough specs so a "very crude" evaluation of the idea can be performed without giving away too much. From there, get anyone who is interested to sign an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) for finer details that pertain to your idea. The challenge you're going to have is that you're going to want to be as specific as possible without tipping your hand too much; we see quite a few threads in here from people with "ideas" and the harsh reality is that the odds are against you.

I'd also be careful about putting your idea in a private message. It doesn't offer much more security than posting it publicly would. If someone wants to take your idea and use it themselves, they may...or if they wanted to take your PM and post it here publicly, they may as well. I say none of this to criticize you, and I wouldn't do either of these myself; if you come to me with an idea, it's your idea even if you don't make me sign an NDA. I say this as a warning only.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your replies. I will give the idea away in a nutshell as I feel I do not have much choice

Basically I've thought about wanting to make a website (although I have no coding experience - hence why I'm asking for help here) that allows you list 2 or more websites side by side. So you click on one of the blank squares / rectangles on the page , enter a URL, then it displays the page in the window, and then do the same for the window next to it. The idea is that it will enable people to compare stats of different products, view multiple live feeds at the same time, compare travel prices, or simply just multitask with web broswing. I see many great possibilities in this. There's more than just that though. There are things I would like to implement on top of this idea such as the ability to save comparisons on to the site in a portal section, view the windows Horizontally or Vertically, and the ability to drag and drop the windows in to a desired position on the page to name a few. I know there are tabs and windows you can open on a web browser, but this idea is a lot more user friendly and intuitive imo.

I do not know how easy it is to code, or how much getting something like this together would cost me, but I have looked for something similar to this and there is nothing out there except for 3rd party split screen browsing applications and plugins that you have to download.

If anyone has any questions on this or is unsure what I've explained here, please ask. I would like some advice on this idea also.

Thanks

Adam
    Last edited by adam3112; Apr 23rd, 2015 at 06:34 AM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's my take, based on what you've told me. It's not a horrible idea on the surface, but the problem is that it has been done in different variations. When it comes to comparison shopping, for example, there are application programming interfaces (or APIs for short) that exist that will allow you to connect to several portals and download the data so that you can format it pretty much any way you want. Here's one example...there are several others on Programmable Web that you can use.

The coding difficulty will vary depending on the API, its documentation, and how you want it integrated. The easier ones tend to be replicated quite a bit (e.g. most Google APIs, although they don't have any for shopping), and the harder ones take more time and are rarely used (e.g. anything to do with Amazon). The thing with an API is that it can be white label i.e. under the surface, so it's possible to use one or more APIs in conjunction to create a shopping portal for example without the end user even knowing who is supplying the data or that any form of comparison shopping exists.

The other big issue that you run into is that of permission. If there isn't an API, you're basically talking about running a bot on someone's site to be able to scrape data. There have been huge permission issues associated with scraping for years, including that of feeds. The ultra-wicked-smart Jonathan Bailey has been writing about scraping almost as long as it has been a thing.

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2011...ill-is-not-ok/

I've built such bots myself, including 17 for one of my clients who has several suppliers. But 1) I get permission first before I even think about building a scraper bot and 2) I make sure to abide by any restrictions the supplier may have. For example, some suppliers don't want bots run between 9-5 Monday-Friday because that's peak business time, so I run the bot at night.

Basically, your major issues are legal and originality. If you don't have a monetization method in mind to be able to recoup costs, I'd suggest trying to learn programming yourself and doing this as an educational exercise and possible portfolio builder. If you do, you'll probably want to talk to a lawyer before you talk to any programmers as far as costs go.

As far as costs go, they're going to vary depending on what exactly you build, who you hire, and how you roll it out. You can spend until you have to take a third mortgage out on your house for something like this, or you can start it for a few thousand bucks. It really varies.
    adam3112 and AlphaMare like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I have a price quote for you. I run a website design company and based on your ideas we can offer you the unique designs.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    How can you have a price quote prepared based on very little information?
    timbo89 likes this.

Remove Ads